WW1 for the beginner

Discussion in 'General' started by IceGrog, Nov 2, 2008.

1. IceGrog

IceGrog New Member

This is my first post, and i'm also new to this RC stuff. i've just started searching for getting some plans for ww1 ships, that is where my main interest lies. it has been easier to fine ww2 plans. Is there any advice for this newbie.

2. BoomerBoy17

BoomerBoy17 Active Member

look at the home page of this site, go to all known vendors, then click on blueprints/plans and click on those sites. Try them all out, and search around. if you have one in particular ask, and someone might have one. Also, research your ship first, look into speed, size, ect. It may be best if you find out what club you would be in, and visit a battle.

3. Anachronus

Anachronus Well-Known Member

You will find it harder to find WW1 plans. Taubman's Plans has some pretty good ones in the SMC series. They are from Russia and will need to be rescaled for 1/144 but they do exist.

BC sells the Scharnhorst Armored cruisers and the Mississippi Class predreadnought and the Lion class battle cruisers. THere may be other hulls already made as well.

4. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Which ship are you looking for?

5. Anachronus

Tugboat's plans depot porbably has it. I think I had a senior moment in my last post too. BC has a pretty good collection of the Hochseeflotte. Konig and Baden class BB's and the Von der Tann BC.

6. IceGrog

IceGrog New Member

Although my heart would lay with the allies, when it comes to the ships themselves I like them all. As for plans I would have taken any that I could get. But if I had to make a list I would say HMS Hercules, Monarch, and the Derflinger.

7. Tugboat

I'm at school on a 10 minute break. I'm 99% certain that I have Monarch, have to check on Hercules. I don't
    have Derfflinger, altho the fast way on Derf is a BC hull kit.

8. IceGrog

IceGrog New Member

"Tugboat" i've heard that name mention in another forum on another web site..............same guy??

9. Tugboat

Could be :) What was it in reference to? If it was something about an Admiral's daughter back in June 1997, I was definately at sea during that period, not left ashore to take the 500kW SSMG maintenance school. Definately. Unless you plan on high-fiving me for it. In that case it was me.

10. Anachronus

He definitely didn't do it unless there is some reward money. In which case he did it. [;)]

11. IceGrog

IceGrog New Member

Well at least it wasn't the Admiral's son (but it was about plans)

12. Tugboat

If it was plans, it was probably me :) I have a tendency to squirrel them away in electronic form, and I'm slowly getting them cleaned up and posting them as time permits. With that said, if you can live with some speckling on the plans, maybe a crease line or two, then I can get them to you faster. I do not have HMS Hercules, unfortunately.

13. Anachronus

That reminds me. I have Izzie's older brother that I need to send your way.

14. Tugboat

oooOOOOoooo :)

send! send!

15. Anachronus

Check your e-mail. [:D]

16. IceGrog

IceGrog New Member

thanks for the info
    i'm still looking, in the BC site it had kits with fiberglass hulls, but in "1/144 Big Gun" rules it said you can have up to 1/8" Balsa armour, now how does this work with the fiberglass or should i just keep looking for plans and stick to wood hull, i did like the "Von Der Tann" BC

17. squires

squires Member

windows are cut from the fiberglass hull which is then covered with balsa wood of different thicknesses depending on your ships original armour. if you are going to be playing big gun make sure you dont buy wepons in the kit as i think BC is small gun weapons. depending on the rule set changes the placement of the windows. the www.ausbg.org has a nice little set of rules in pdf if you click on the learn more link then rules. it fairly clear there