WWI Battlecruisers

Discussion in 'North Atlantic Battle Squadron' started by Bob Pottle, Sep 8, 2015.

1. Bob Pottle

Bob Pottle Well-Known Member

About 8-9 ears ago Ralph was commissioned by the Tuttles to build a Seydlitz hull plug, mold and 7 hulls, which were shipped to the Tuttles. He kept the first hull from the mold and has just decided to build the Seydlitz instead of a Mogami, partly because I'm building an Indefatigable Class battlecruiser with a hull from his mold. (When I complete the rebuilds of the Canarias and Suffolk we'll have a pair of well matched cruisers so a Mogami isn't needed yet.)

Seydlitz is more than 10% longer than the Indefatigable, about 30% heavier, faster (24 vs 26 sec/100'), has 4.5 vs 4.0 combat units, tandem rudders vs parallel and multiple casemate guns for extra impenetrable area vs none. Despite those differences we think Indefatigable should be a well matched opponent, mainly due to better maneuverability.

Ralph and I will get together later this month to mark and cut out the penetrable areas of the Seydlitz and Indefatigable hulls.

2. Bob

Bob Well-Known Member

Are there going to be Seydlitz hulls for sale?

3. Bob Pottle

You'll have to ask the Tuttles. They bought the Seydlitz mold and all but one of the hulls made by Ralph Coles about 9 years ago. Ralph thinks he sold 7 hulls to the Tuttles. I have no idea if more were made by them or will be.

4. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

If they have the mold and the plug, I remember that they did not at that time want to sell the mold, but offered the plug for $900 plus shipping.

5. Bob

Bob Well-Known Member

Any contact info on the Tuttles? Where do they live?

6. Bob Pottle

I wonder if they're willing to sell Seydlitz hulls. Based on personal experience I think they'd have a hard time selling the mold for $900.

NickMyers likes this.
  7. absolutek

absolutek -->> C T D <<--

I tried contacting their email listed on the IRCWCC yahoo list but never heard back.

8. Bob Pottle

It's a good thing Ralph made a hull for himself. It'll be interesting to see how it performs.

9. Bob Pottle

No recent progress on Seydlitz or Indefatigable. Ralph had the Seydlitz's shafts in and bought motors from me in April but he's been busy looking for work and repairing his cars since then.

I was refitting Canarias for a few weeks and have started to rebuild HMS Cumberland. It makes more sense to me to complete Cumberland first because Indefatigable doesn't have its prop shafts installed but Cumberland does.