Wyoming Class?

Discussion in 'Ship Comparison' started by modelshipsahoy, Jul 19, 2020.

1. modelshipsahoy

modelshipsahoy Vendor

What kind of interest would there be in the Wyoming? I see the Arkansas on the IRCWCC ship list but not the lead ship and class namesake Wyoming. Is there some reason for that? Seems like a good ship with a nice flat deck, low freeboard and 6 turrets.

Asking for a friend. Lol
    09A58E21-8AD6-43F6-A2C3-346B45E0FACD.jpeg

2. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

Arkansas was launched and commissioned first. There are a few entries on the shiplist that defer in that manner.

modelshipsahoy likes this.
  3. modelshipsahoy

modelshipsahoy Vendor

Thanks Nick!

How much interest is there as a Combat Ship?
    Class 5 American Slugger that we could kit bash our Florida into a plug for pretty nicely.

4. Renodemona

Renodemona Well-Known Member

Play-style wise it is not much different than Utah. It does have 5 units vs 4.5 though. It does have 4 shafts, but is still 28 seconds. If you were looking at a US slugger battleship, Nevada might be a better choice. It's very tubby in its final version and 5.5 units. On the British side, they have a ton of classes that could make for good brawlers too. Neptune, Orion, Bellerophon, etc

5. Anvil_x

Anvil_x Well-Known Member

So, a Nevada wouldn't be bad.

for the following reason in particular, she might be economical. The boat is two inches shorter than a Pennsylvania, which is a 26 second boat. I haven't looked at the frames closely, but the differences between the two hulls may allow Tim to kit bash and get both the PN and NV hull with minor tweaks to the plug.

A boat that seems to have a decent following is the Post-Pearl harbor refit Candycornias and WeeVees. I don't know if it'd be worth making a plug, but they are big, fat and mean. Might not fly as a brawler though due to size. I designed my New Meowxico as a hit-and-run boat to take advantage of her higher speed and compensate for her marginal turning.

Don't make a New Meowxico plug. She's basically a Candycornia, but with a bunch of PITA casemates to model with little or no edge in casemate power over the Candycornia.

Texas, if given proper rudder and prop arrangement, is a good hull. think a really fat Orion or Iron Duke. I really enjoy my Texas. she's at the smaller end for 5.5 units at just an inch longer than the Arkie, so better maneuver than a lot of 5.5 unit boats, but slow.

I do like the gun layout of the Ute though. those low stern turrets would make decent sidemounts, and the superfiring stern turret affords the option for a "Trinity" configuration like the Seydlitz or Moltke

South Cackalacka would be nice to have, if it's not available elsewhere.

Arkie's just sorta caught between the Texas and the Ute.

wfirebaugh likes this.
  6. Renodemona

You can 100% kitbash a Nevada from a Pennsylvania. You make a PA plug, make the mold ready, then you cut 2ish inches out of the raised section just before the step, glue the plug together, and make a NV mold. This would be for pre-Pearl NV as she got even fatter after, but if you did the PA first, then you could add the bulges after you cut it anyway.

WV is a decent slugger, Tom Palmer battled one for a long time. 26 seconds isn't fast, but its faster than 28. Any of the American "standard" battleships are going to be sluggers. They will never outturn the QE or Germans, but, they are pretty close and they stop/start better than the 3 shafted Germans. WV hull is also good for post Pearl California/Tennessee.

wfirebaugh likes this.
  7. Anvil_x

Right on! Sounds like NV/PN would be pretty sweet then.

Nate has a WeeVee too from what I hear. I based my boat's rudder/shaft config off of Kevin's Candycornia. like you say, the standards turn decent for their size, but I would try to play a distance game against a two-rudder boat.
    Because at best, here's my Standard-Type in a 180 degree battle-turn.

IMG_0459.JPG IMG_0460.JPG IMG_0461.JPG IMG_0462.JPG IMG_0463.JPG

Not a Puking Dog, but not a Baden or QE.

I'm kinda hesitant to call them sluggers, but that may be a bias I have due to of having the same firepower as Texas with less maneuverability. *but* I tell ya what, PN/NM/CA/WV all have plenty of room to slap in a second pump, and looking at my NM as she lays, you could definitely set her up as a brawler. I'd just be way more careful with my NM than I would with Texas because that four extra inches of length is all in the gigantic billboard of a bow. I think of them as *really weird SoDaks*

That NV/PA though, that sounds like an awesome, economical plug to run!

Last edited: Aug 14, 2020
    wfirebaugh likes this.
  8. Kevin P.

Kevin P. Well-Known Member

The 26 second speed is important for the American boats, so I would say Pennsylvania would be your best bet for making a mold. Arizona was relatively popular when swampy/strike had them available. Not a huge appetite out there for the longer 28 second boats

diceman42 and Anvil_x like this.
  9. wfirebaugh

wfirebaugh Well-Known Member

I am curious how would the I.J.N. Nagato stack up against the U.S.S. Texas pointage, firepower, etc? Would you see it as a near or equal competitor?

10. jadfer

jadfer Well-Known Member

Come to the battle in November and see for yourself.

11. Bob

Bob Well-Known Member

Speed. Nagato 24 sec Texas 28 sec. Nagato can choose to fight or run. Texas has to fight when Nagato wants to. Huge advantage Nagato

Turning. Nagato is long with two rudder and 4 shafts. Texas is short with one rudder and 2 shafts. Nagato will out turn Texas.

Fire power. Nagato is typically set up with two stern sidemounts. A bow sidemount and a bow gun. Texas would be twin stern guns a stern sidemount and a bow sidemount. Nagatos gun placement is a little better. Nagatos also run two pumps.

Pretty big advantage for Nagato.

wfirebaugh likes this.
  12. Anvil_x

There's basically no other way to describe it than what Bob said. But I can add the flourishes that come from being a Texas driver at the mercy of a PPB Nagato.

The only time a Texas has a chance against a Nagato is when the Nagato's driver is still recovering from a hard night of drinking. If I see a Nagato, I try to be inconspicuous, and make a few pot-shots while it's distracted with something more formidable.

A 26 second STB has a better chance, but still the field is stacked heavily against.
    Even at best, for Nagato to lose, it'd come down to whomever took the most damage in the first five to ten seconds and then the Nagato making a series of stupid mistakes, like chasing sterns.

This is why I built my 26 second STB for hit-and-run

Last edited: Aug 17, 2020
  13. wfirebaugh

I would had thought the Texas and the Nagato would had been a little more equal, is that at first launch or after all of the refits to both ships?

Last edited: Aug 17, 2020
  14. Anvil_x

Oh no, even with the FRAG 2 refits I'm planning to do this winter if I don't go back to Alaska, she's no match.

Even with the second pump and better thrust cone dynamics to improve maneuver.

But I'd put five bucks down that if @Bob had a month with my Texas, that he'd be able to square off against Tyler's Nagato and give him a run for the money.
    with a way better captain than I am, she'd be a lot more dangerous.

15. Anvil_x

But against a Koenig or Baden, the terms would be far more even.

16. Renodemona

#1 factor is reliability, #2 is experience. Apples to apples is hard to compare in the real world. Build something that's reliable and show up to battles to gain experience and you'll be in the upper third of the food chain. Build what you want, make it good, enjoy.

But seriously a Pennsylvania hull would sell pretty well and I would kitbash it into a NV.

17. Bob

Bob Well-Known Member

Both of those German ships run a center prop with twin rudders. They out turn Texas big time. Both s as the better than Texas.

18. Anvil_x

Indeed. 'far more even' was never meant to be synonymous with 'an even match'.
    "Pound at them with the dual bows as hard as I can and then drive away, waggling stern sidemounts suggestively" has always been my plan when facing Koenig/Baden.

It'd be a lot closer than any fight between a Nagato and a Texas, that's for sure.

Also, sorry dude I misinterpreted what you meant about 'refits' I thought you were talking about my texas in particular.

It wasn't until this morning when I realized you were making a more sensible question regarding the Unbulged Nagato. she would still have an advantage over the American STBs in maneuver courtesy of her rudder setup.

After double-checking the 2020 rules, an as-built Nagato would kinda be a sad sack of a boat though compared to the bulged and lengthened variant. I don't think anyone would be inclined to build it. 5.5 units, only two sidemounts, and 26 sec.

But, people build weird impractical stuff. *looks in mirror*

19. wfirebaugh

I have been chatting with someone that is building the unbulged 1921 refit of the Nagato and I am planing on building the buldged 1937 variant. I am using paper-craft plans I have blown the plans up to 1/144 scale, I am planing on building the Mutsu and the Nagato to get my wife involved. and they will be fiberglass Hull.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 19, 2020