Yacht

Discussion in 'Research and Development' started by squires, Feb 24, 2009.

1. squires

squires Member

hey just wondering if anyone has any idea about, yacht design.
    reason being i have been given a design project for manufacturing systems at university, basically design and manufacture a remote control yacht, we have basically no resitrictions on manufacturing price or equipment i just dont know anything about yacht design as im not doing a marine engineering degree. any pointers would be appreciated
    i know this isnt really a good spot for this but i wasnt sure if there was a place for it and this fitted best

2. Knight4hire

Knight4hire Active Member

Hmmmmmm It would be a hard target to hit.

OK, Being serious now.

What scale do you intend to use?
    Have you tried to 'google' Yacht images?

3. GregMcFadden

GregMcFadden Facilitator RCWC Staff

first thing you should consider, what are the functional requirements of said Yacht. E.G. when it is all said and done, how will it be used, what parameters for speed, stability, etc. must be met...

4. squires

squires Member

thus far all we have been told is that it will be required to be entered into a regatta on june 5th this year, it must contain at most 2 servos and must be less then 500mm long. i can only assume that there will be some form of race around the cones and a manuverability test of some description, but i would expect it too be fairly simple testing nothing like wave resistance testing ect. afterall it is a manufacturing class and the emphesis is on having a well manufactured craft.

5. BoomerBoy17

BoomerBoy17 Active Member

Do this one, scaled that is:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Independence_(LCS-2)

6. Ragresen

Ragresen Member

Motor Powered Yacht or Sail for one? If Sail does it need to be anything more than a pure bread Race Yacht? If it can be a race based one you may consider one of the formula designs that would be used by the AMYA.

http://www.modelyacht.org/

7. phill

phill Active Member

Sounds like my RC sailboat. It uses a simple and cheap 2 channel rc control. One servo has a long arm which is connected to the boom and the jib. The model I have is a copy of an america's cup winner of 20-30 years back and she is actually a lot of fun to sail in a strong wind. It actually takes my skills from sailing non-rc sailboats!

8. squires

squires Member

it must be a sailboat. as far as i can tell a pure bread race boat would be fine only issue is i cant use a scaled design as apparently the fluid dynamics for such small boats are very different to those of large boats. that was my first idea

9. Ragresen

Ragresen Member

Squires that is why I suggested one of the Formula designs out there. They are made to work more on a smaller scale. Thought the AC boats I think reach lengths of about 9 feet. When they get that big they use more than two servos. Seriously look about out there and you can find yourself something to work with.

10. Gardengnome

Gardengnome Member

Found this off the site you mentioned earlier.. www.modelyacht.org/victoria.htm there is even an manual on that page that shows how that model does it w/ a two servo set up.

11. phill

phill Active Member

d'oh! No wonder this sounds like my sailboat. I've got one of the thunder tiger Victorias!
    She is a sweet sailor and I've had her out in 30 knot winds!

12. Ragresen

Ragresen Member

The Victoria's were a bit small for me for an RC Sailboat back when I did them Considering I started with a Kyosho Riveria that is ironic of me to say. I eventually built and sailed a 50" long replica of an International Y-Flyer which is what I skippered in Full Scale as well.

13. Superarp

Superarp Member

Try a simple catamaran design with a deep centerboard, and 2 servos-1 sail, 1 rudder. or you can use gears to do a joined rudder-sail servo, but this does not work as well. See if you can put an inboard hydrofoil- it worked really well in mine

14. Miller7D

Miller7D Member

Check out the designs and hulls built by these guys: www.wally.com. Really sleek, really fast hulls. You can learn a lot about their design mindset just from the pictures, and the ships themselves are gorgeous.