Yamato build thread

Discussion in '1/96 Battlestations' started by Mark, May 14, 2007.

1. Mark

Mark Active Member

so if you split it where you need to, the halves would have to be bonded then hatches cut out of the deck? I guess that would work. what type of fiberglass you using (polyester resin or west systems epoxy?)

2. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Right now, polyester resin. I have just enough West left in my current supply to finish Carl's little boat with it, and then I'm mostly using polyester, as it works well, and the west is 3 or 4 times as expensive.

I looked at some pics last night (yeah, I have some boat pics on the computer at work :) It looks more doable than I thought (casting the hull intact, with the deck cut out). I'd forgotten how close to the bow and stern the deck opening would run. I'd have to work a little int he stern, might take a little post-casting cleanup in that area, but I think that overall it would be easier to make it that way, vice joining two hull halves.

3. Mark

Mark Active Member

works for me

4. Mark

Mark Active Member

hey Tug,
    just waiting for those hulls from Carl to come in and was wondering on the status of the turrets?

5. Mark

Mark Active Member

just getting settled with work a little and think I'll have some time to work on the plugs, I will bring my computer with me so that I can post some pics and updates on the progress. I wonder If any of you are near the NY, PA border where I'm working? the town I'm staying in is Hancock, NY. Tug anymore progress?

6. Powder Monkey

Powder Monkey Active Member

I think Tug fell off the face of the earth hes been in radio silence for weeks now [:(]

7. djranier

djranier Well-Known Member

He works in a understaffed Hospital on the night shift, so he pulls alot of overtime, and then the rest of the time he just wants to sleep, so I have been told. The whole list has been kind of slow most of the last month, no new building going on I guess.

8. Powder Monkey

Powder Monkey Active Member

yes I am awaer of this but he usaly gets on at work during ah breaks yes thats it during breaks, but last I heard he was under the weather hope he gets well soon if thats still the case

9. Mark

Mark Active Member

Tug, I recently got the chance to purchase a compleat set of molds for the Yamato's (all the turrets down to the tripple 25mm and other various fittings) so don't worry about the turrets anymore. no offence ment by this I just figure since I'm building all 3 it would be cheaper to do it this way, I can make them as needed and will be able to build special features into them when required.

10. Tugboat

No offense taken! I have plenty to do :) And the Biz turrets are going to be a pain in and of themselves :) I'm trying to figure out where to mount my rangefinders. Might stick them in the actual rangefinders on the ship.

I'm just glad to have you back! You're the one whose words came back to me when I decided to start on my 1/96 BB... I had several potential choices, but the bit about people always pointing at a big one and asking 'Is that the Bismarck?' drove my final decision.

11. Mark

Mark Active Member

Tug, go to the modelwarshipsunderway site, go to whats new, click on updeted forum and the guy who made the molds I bought has a build tread there, it is a deffinite must see, his work is unreal!

12. Tugboat

I'll look soon, their forum is in maintenance mode :(

I will continue work on what was the Yamato secondary, modifying it into a Mogami main. Mogami might be the next 1/96 wood hull, either that or Lutzow.

13. Mark

Mark Active Member

just cast a few parts today, need to take a break (think I inhaled too many fumes, don't feel well:( ) posted 7 pics under yamatocastings, there's 2 mains, 2 seconds, 4 3rd's, 2 tripple 25mm mounts, and an anchor. all the parts need to be cleaned up and painted but all in all I'm pleased with the results. the mains will have plenty of room for video, so too with the secondary

14. Mark

Mark Active Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    sorry about pic quality, but used an old camera, even the dates are scewed up on the photo's. the castings haven't been sanded or painted yet and the primary and secondary turrets don't have the rangefinders installed yet (I'll make them out of metal and plexy for onboard video purposes

15. JustinScott

JustinScott Well-Known Member

holy crap; that's a monster!

16. BoomerBoy17

BoomerBoy17 Active Member

Monster doesnt cover it justin, that, my friend, in a leviathan.

17. Tugboat

Big big big.

So when the Bismarck and the Yammer get together, what will the Allies have?

*WET BRITCHES!!! :)

**In seriousness, what WILL they have to put up against the axis?

18. Mark

Mark Active Member

well there is a Massachusetts and an Iowa along with Artimis and a liberty ship all well under construction up here in MA

19. Tugboat

Good, I'd feel bad if it was a walkover.

20. mike5334

mike5334 Well-Known Member

A Jean Bart. :)