Yamato build thread

Discussion in '1/96 Battlestations' started by Mark, May 14, 2007.

1. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

LOL. I'm not looking for it myself, but a number of other people are.

2. Tugboat

On an actual Yamato-related note: I bought my vacuum pump today, so once I build the vacc chamber, I can cast no matter what the outside humidity is! Can turrets be far behind?

3. Mark

Mark Active Member

progress report on turrets?

4. Tugboat

Progress report = I'll have a tracking number for you shortly :)

5. Mark

Mark Active Member

hey tug, you still with us? hope everything is going well and that everyone has a good holiday season.

6. djranier

djranier Well-Known Member

I heard he went back to Med school, but it may of been a rumor.

7. LeRoy22

LeRoy22 New Member

Tugboat,

Hi My name is Lee Donahue I was wondering what is the price of your 1/96 Mogami hull?

Lee

8. Mark

Mark Active Member

Tug, this is a little of topic on the Yamato but was wondering if you have the plans for the IJN I-400 class subs or know where to get them. Tried contacting BDE but with no luck. Decided to start a second boat while finishing up the Yamato so when season starts up I can have 2 different boats

9. Tugboat

I have some pics and drawings, but no plans per se. I bought a 1/144 I-400 hull that I can get the lines from if you can use those. It hasn't arrived, yet, but I'm awaiting with baited breath.

Lee, the 1/96 Mogami is under development right now. I can cut you ribs and keels for a wood one, but the fiberglass one is a ways off.

10. Mark

Mark Active Member

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE! Tug, what about your friend from across the pond who draws up plans for ships, would he have the I-400 plans? how the turrets coming along?

11. dietzer

dietzer Admiral (Supporter)

A guy on ebay sells a 1/120 scale set of plans for the I-400. These are probably the best plans for sale on the market today (which may not being saying much). I have a copy of these and a copy of the 1/160 scale Hasegawa plans as well as the Bill Goff plans. The Hasegawa plans are now out of print, but these beat the 1/144 scale plans from Goff hands down.

Here's a link to the current ebay auction for the I-400 plans:

Visit this site

Hope this helps,

Carl

12. Mark

Mark Active Member

What about the plans from BDE or Taubmans? have you seen these? could you scan the plans you have and e-mail me a copy so that I might look at them? I would really appreciate it:)

13. dietzer

Mark,

Some scans of the plans from 'great_plans' were included in the following I-400 thread on the SubCommittee website (R/C sub website):

Visit this site

Carl

14. Tugboat

Mark,
    Haruo-san doesn't have any sub plans, unfortunately :(

I cleaned up the secondary plug to make a second mold without the openings for the cannon barrels in it. The openings were causing a lot of issues, and it'd be better if you cut them to fit your cannons' construction anyway.

I'll see if the I400 hull I bought has plans with it when it arrives (if it does, I can scan in parts for you to look at and decide if you want to buy a set). If it doesn't have any, I'll probably beg Carl to scan in the Hasegawa plans.

I wonder if the USN made any drawings of her when they were studying her post-WW2, that might be in the Submarine Force museum...

15. dietzer

Tugboat,

I agree with you. I strongly suspect that the US made drawings of her while she was in US hands after the war. If I ever get a chance to visit the Naval archives in Maryland (a big dream of mine -- I'd love to spend a week there!), I'm going to see if they have anything on the I-400 and any of the other IJN vessels.

I was able to get a copy of some IJN plans on ebay once that turned out to be captured IJN blueprints of the IJN anti-aircraft destroyer Akizuki. The title box on each of the four sheets had been replaced by English text, but the rest of it was the original blueprint. So I know some of these existed in the archives, it's just a question of what ships/subs they captured plans for, and if any of these still exist or if they been lost/destroyed by the military over the years...

Carl

16. Mark

Mark Active Member

tuggy, how those turret molds coming along?:)

17. froggyfrenchman

froggyfrenchman Well-Known Member

Mark
    I just now took a look at your photos of the Yamato.
    I didn't realize how far along you were.
    I need to get off my duff..
    I also think I need to build a Yamato hull, so that I can use it for a boat-box for my Strasbourg. That thing is huge.
    Well done.
    Mikey

18. Mark

Mark Active Member

Thanks, but I've decided to convert the current Yamato hull into a Shinano due to some other features such as rib size, deck structure and interior layout that I want for the Yamato. So I'll be building another hull shortly, anyway, two is better than one:) Don't worry Tug, I'm still going to need those turrets ASAP. Progress report on some of the other ships being built: Matt's Iowa, just finished proofing the rib drawings and the wood for construction will be in by the end of the week. Need to get in touch with Jeff to see if he has finished the mold for his Massachusetts (he might already have the hull made) also was working on a control system that in specifically designed for this hobby. I will post pics of the I-400 ASAP.

19. Tugboat

This is a follow-on to my post in the I400 stuff thread. I looked at our rules, and we don't have rules allowing cannons to represent aircraft. What's the feeling on this from you guys? LEave the rules as they are, or follow big-gun practice with a 1/4" cannon ahead or astern for X number of aircraft?

20. mike5334

mike5334 Well-Known Member

Is that just for the subs, or for carriers also?