Yamato build thread

Discussion in '1/96 Battlestations' started by Mark, May 14, 2007.

1. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

He's usually pretty good about replies, and the $24 price includes the cost of shipping. Plus, on your first plans order, Haruo-san includes a booklet of detail drawings of various things commonly found on Japanese ships (like the small craft, the various 25mm AA guns, and that AA rocket launcher). You should hear back from him soon. How the purchase works is you send him an Int'l M.O. and he sends a receipt email. The plans typically arrive in about 2 weeks, give or take. I've referred other battlers to him, and have heard nothing but praise about him or his plans.

2. Anachronus

Anachronus Well-Known Member

I've gotten two sets of his plans from Pacific Front. They are basically magnificent.

3. Anachronus

I have the converted versions in the ship lists already. I would like to see one in combat but I am pretty sure I don't want to build it.[:)]

4. dietzer

dietzer Admiral (Supporter)

I must say I don't agree with the idea of allowing extra cannons for observation floatplanes. These are not capable of attacking other ships, they were simply meant to "spot" fire and search for the enemy...

Just my 2 cents,

Carl

5. Anachronus

That is a good point. I knew the Tone had only spotter planes, I was guessing the Ise/Hyuga had something more offensive.

6. Tugboat

The Ise and Hyuga did have combat aircraft, although none were actually deployed for combat. They were built and assigned to the ship, though. They're actually some pretty cool looking floatplanes, even more 'go-fasty' looking than the Snyder Trophy Spitfires... I have some pics of one of the fighters somewhere on the hard drive at home, and one actually survives today.

The plans I'm using for Hyuga are from Haruo-san, and I also have a set of his Takao plans. For the price difference (not to mention friendship), I can easily wait 2 weeks for plans.

7. Anachronus

The Serian? Spelling is off I am sure. That was the fighter that was going to be shipped on the I-400's too.

8. dietzer

The bomber planes carried by Ise and Hyuga were D4Y "Judy" dive-bombers,which were launched by catapault.

These battleship/carriers also carried observation floatplanes.

Carl

9. Anachronus

Ah, thanks. How were they to be recovered? Or were they float plane variants?

10. dietzer

The Judy had to land on either a conventional carrier or a land-based air strip. They were not floatplanes, and had to launch at high speed, hence the catapults. So Ise and Hyuga could launch them but not recover them. And if you were out at sea with no carriers around, it was essentially a one-way mission.

Some articles I've read about the Judy said it had trouble taking off from the shorter carriers, because it took too long to get it up to take-off speed.

BTW, the original Battlestations! rules allowed you to fire planes off the catapults and carrier decks, the only requirement being that the plane had to float so it could be recovered after the battle. I would imagine a 1/96 scale plane hitting a ship would make a far bigger hole than a 1/4" cannon, but to my knowledge no one ever tried making one...

Hope this helps,

Carl

11. Mark

Mark Active Member

we should try and remedy that:)

12. Gascan

Gascan Active Member

The WWCC has the same allowance: catapults may launch a miniature plane to strike an enemy ship. The planes are so light (in order to float) that they cannot cause a hole in balsa. Instead, they score a number of points to help their team win. Someone built a USS Midway with two catapults, and even scored some hits. He then put the system on his Iowa's floatplane catapults. The club decided that, although the current rules allowed it, the idea was ridiculous, and changed the rules so only carriers could have catapults.

13. dietzer

Mark,

I would love to someone do it! Even if they sink me in doing so! [;)]

As for the aircraft Shinano could carry, I think we've pretty much wrapped up the discussion on the IJN ships message board. The conclusion is: we'll never know just how many she could carry. In truth, since as a replenish vessel she could carry a wide mix of aircraft (including aircraft like the Okha's that weren't part of a normal carrier wing), there's just no way to know how many aircraft she could carry. It depends entirely on the type of extra aircraft (and their sizes)...

However, every thing seems to point to only the 47 aircraft dedicated for self-defense were assembled and working at any given time, so the total number she carried is really moot. She could only sorti 47 at a time.

So, I would calculate her additional arming as if she had only 47 planes.

Carl

14. Mark

Mark Active Member

added a pic of the Yamato hull with the I-400 and my son (quite possibly their future capt.) on top of the deck.

15. Mark

Mark Active Member

just finished the power distribution, motor control and fuse panel, not the easiest thing to do while keeping everything neat and orderly (I just hope it doesn't melt under extreme loads:) I'll post a pic of it later. good news is that by next weekend the ice on the ponds will be gone and the yammer hull is going to get her first full power sea trials.

16. Tugboat

17. Mark

Mark Active Member

yes, but it is mostly gone now, 2 weeks ago had 14" of ice on the ponds:(

18. Tugboat

It's 81 degrees outside right now 8)

19. the frog

the frog Member

I really like the new way they are doing aircraft carriers out west,Depending on displacement you get either 3 1/4s per quadrent or 4 1/4s per quadrant. This finally gives a carrier the firepower they deserve. more bbs were sunk in combat by carriers than any surface action with another bb or bc. quote]Originally posted by dietzer

Mark,

I would love to someone do it! Even if they sink me in doing so! [;)]

As for the aircraft Shinano could carry, I think we've pretty much wrapped up the discussion on the IJN ships message board. The conclusion is: we'll never know just how many she could carry. In truth, since as a replenish vessel she could carry a wide mix of aircraft (including aircraft like the Okha's that weren't part of a normal carrier wing), there's just no way to know how many aircraft she could carry. It depends entirely on the type of extra aircraft (and their sizes)...

However, every thing seems to point to only the 47 aircraft dedicated for self-defense were assembled and working at any given time, so the total number she carried is really moot. She could only sorti 47 at a time.

So, I would calculate her additional arming as if she had only 47 planes.

Carl

[/quote]

20. Mark

Mark Active Member

well the yammer finally has had its sea trials and they were a great success with only a few gliches. to start off the boat was placed in the water with no extra ballast (just the drive system and batteries) and it was found to be a little on the light side. after cruising around with the hull up on plane and throwing a large rooster tail, Matt and I proceeded to add 146lbs of lead dive wieghts to bring it to scale water line. ater that thu ship behaved the way it should. under full power its turning radius is true to scale. the only problem (other than fishing line wrapping up in the props and rudders, BTW only slowed the ship down, not stopping it) was gliches with the reciever from being too close to the motors and power supply, I was limited in my choices at the time but when the ship is done it will be better protected from electrical noise. some other things I need to take into consideration is that theres no stearing in reverse and it takes some time to stop from full speed. so to sum it up I was very pleased with the results, its a very stable platform while manuvering, no real listing/heeling over:) today I will install the bilge pumps