Yamato, waste of time?

Discussion in 'General' started by Spartan089, Jan 18, 2008.

1. Spartan089

Spartan089 New Member

I've been planning to build a Yamato for a while now, but I'm not to sure now, In a lot of topic I've heard the Yamato being described as being one big target, and I've never realy heard of someone doing good with one. Is it a waste of time trying to build one in hopes of it being a formidable ship?

2. Ragresen

Ragresen Member

A friend who has one does complain about it not being very maneuverable and it is kinda slow. Do to the size she is pretty near impossible to sink. Do to the way she can be armed she is a ship that you tread lightly about because you pretty much can not approach it from any side with out being shot at till he starts to run low on rounds. Over all It is a ship I personally may build one day, but it is not at the top of my list.

3. djranier

djranier Well-Known Member

She looks great on the water, from where you are at, if your with the IRC guys, alot of them use the Yamato's. With a group of them, they do quite well. In the MWC you only see 1 of them usually at a battle, and I have been helping Marc with his. It actually is turning alot better, but anytime a NC wants too, he can pretty much stern mount you. But since it weighs in at a max of 59 pounds, as long as the pump works, with that much hull volume it is hard to sink.

If you want one make it, its your choice. BC still makes the hull and deck kit if I remember right.

4. Bob

Bob Well-Known Member

If you are a really good builder and a really good battler with a really good wing man to help you durring battle then a Yamato can be a good ship. BUT you need to be really good. You can be average in other ships and still do well. Taking on some ships like Yamato & Iowa takes a lot more skill. They have lots of systems to make work. They take a ton of holes so you always have a lot of work to do. They are also heavy so you get worn out battling them.
    Not a ship I would recomend for a new guy. Maybe for ship number 3 if you are lookinig for a challenge.

5. GregMcFadden

GregMcFadden Facilitator RCWC Staff

The Yamato's will turn quite well if the weight distribution is correct. If it is incorrect, they don't turn well. I used to run one that could turn in place, slowly, and turn at speed in a bit over its length.

-Greg

6. Gascan

Gascan Active Member

In big gun, I am not particularly impressed with the Yamato's potential. It gets the same armament as an Iowa, but the Iowa is faster. I prefer the Roma, which is smaller, but has the same armament and is as fast as an Iowa. I have not seen a Roma or Yamato in action, so I am only going off my own theories.

In fast gun, Yamato gets the most units of any ship. They have a lot of combat potential. I have heard that some people don't use it right and are huge targets, but this is true of any ship. I have heard some people are particularly skilled with their ship. I don't think that it is the best ship for a first time build (lots of guns are hard to maintain and it attracts lots of enemy attention), but it would be good for later when you have learned some important lessons on building and battling.

If I really liked the Yamato and just HAD to have one at ANY COST, I would hold off until I have built at least one ship, though two or three would be better. That way, when I get around to building my favorite ship, I can make it the best I can.

7. Ragresen

Ragresen Member

MWC Rules have the Yamato and the Iowa on equal footing speed and armament. I am not sure about other Fast gun clubs.

8. GregMcFadden

same in the IRCWCC. Class 7 with 8 units.

what format are you playing at?

9. Gascan

Gascan Active Member

It seems I got a wrong impression somewhere a long time ago and was never corrected. I guess that'll teach me to talk about fast gun rules...

10. Spartan089

Spartan089 New Member

Thanks for your input guys, I do realize that a ship like that is not for a beginer like me, it was just a for refernce incase I might build one later on. The only Yamato I ver saw in action was being hounded by like three ships, shure it was'nt sinking but they were all attacking it from the back and it couldn't do a single thing.

11. GregMcFadden

Well, if three people working as a team are ganging up on most any ship, usually it is very very difficult for said ship to do much of anything but take it or flee (if they have the speed advantage).

12. Gascan

Gascan Active Member

Teamwork is what counts, not numbers alone. A lone Wisconsin once took on 4 battleships and won because the other ships had no team tactics and he had a target rich environment. On the other hand, 6 torpedo cruisers were easily able to take on 4 battleships because of better teamwork and organization.

13. JohnmCA72

JohnmCA72 Member

Of course it's a waste of time. The whole hobby is a waste of time. That's the whole point! That's why it's fun! If this was our job, nobody would want to do it!

JM

14. Buddy

Buddy Active Member

Boy if that aint the truth!

15. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Well I can speak for at least 4 Yamato owners so here goes. For my buddy and wingman Chris Osborne who has the Musashi I can vouch for him that this ship kicks serious butt if built and played correctly. With all systems working and reliable plus combat experience and a good wingman they are nearly unbeatable,again depends on the enemy forces and how well they are built and played and if the team is coordinated. Chris is the lone Captain whose ship Musashi has not been sunk, yet. It defeated my Yamato, beat up an entire Allied Fleet by itself because said wingman was sunk!Voted most feared many times by both sides Chris has made a fearful reputation with it.

Ralph Coles had no success in combat with his.Nothing worked. However the model used 4 props and scale rudders and darn it that thing turned on a dime! It easily maneuvered with North Carolinas and Warspites but fortunalty for them it could not fire a shot and the pumps failed.

Tom Cromwell took one over but it did not work 100 percent, he had no battle experience with such a large ship and it got chewed up. It did not sink but it was not very effective. Course parking yourself point blank behind a Sodaks tripples is not a great idea!

YAMATO(MINE)My first gigantic build since Bismarck. I had 9 years hard battling with Bismarck and it was worth it as it prepped me for this monster. A difficult build and I since refitted it twice to the point that it is very very reliable, tough to beat so long as the pump is working and it doesn't snag 6ft long branches between it's rudder and props.
    My first outing was disastrous as I was not used to this beast. It handles differently than Bismarck. It went dead in the water and sucked up over 600 bbs, fortunatly above the waterline. It didnt' sink and it happened again the next battle. Not a good first showing. The next day was much better.Following that the Model performed extremely well in all conditions and once I got used to it I was able to make it very effectivea and deadly. With my Wingman Chris and Musashi we formed a very nasty team which with Nagato you got yourself something to watch out for.

The model has a decent turning circle and can turn tight when handled right. Ballast properly you can absorb a lot of damage. It can run for a very long time. It would take 2 GOOD NorthCarolinas to take one down.

It is big and heavy but you can work with that or around it. However I have to agree with the rest of the guys this model is not for the faint of heart. You should have several ships under your belt and at least 2 years with a large battleship before tackling this monster. It also costs a lot more too so if you build it, better be prepared to invest a lot of time with it or it will be a waste. It does have a lot of advantages but also disadvantages so watch your tactics. If you love taking damage and PATCHING then this is for you. If not go smaller.

16. bb26

bb26 Well-Known Member

I think that is the same with any ship. It is not the ship but the captain that will determine the sucess or failure of the boat. A captain that keeps his boat running and knows the limitations of the boat will do well. Just getting a large boat and not even knowing how to maintain systems is just a recipe for disaster. More guns = more opportunity for things to go wrong. Your Yamato pretty much put a beating on the Allied fleet for CANNATS 9.

17. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Why thank you Paul. Your such a respectful enemy.

18. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Why thank you Paul. Your such a respectful enemy or should I say Allie once I get TENNESSEE launched.

19. FirePowerDan

FirePowerDan RIP

In big gun it is only one of two Axis vessels that have triple 1/4 inch turrets. The other is Littorio.

20. squires

squires Member

the yamato, in real life a number of them turned out as nice targets, however in our big gun club down here they have some potential, mainly due to their size and the number of people who want them to sink. their armament isnt awesome for such a large ship but they take a million holes to sink and a number of skilled skippers to get under the water line hits.

in the AUSBG there is a number of allied ships however there is a massive deficet of axis ships or this is how it always turns out, 10mins after the battle start the axis ships are falling to the sodaks about 30mins in only allied battle ships remain on the pond. when there is a yamato in play it takes the allies about 30mins to sink it alone and because everyone focuses on it. the axis ships have a chance to sink some allies and its all the more fun, until the yamato sinks ofcourse.

so if you want to build one my advice be prepared to get attacked by everyone, and patch a lot of holes and maybe buy a weightset but as for it not being effective i dont think so.

also there is some japanese ship called askari i think maybe its a 5 turret 2 cannons on each ive never seen it battled but it looked good being built, few torps and the cannons give it a decent broadside and dual rudder would make it turn awesome. being a jap ship i believe its pretty fast too.