Yep another newbie... They get old don't they?

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Daniel J Bailey, Apr 22, 2019.

1. Daniel J Bailey

Daniel J Bailey New Member

Hello, I'm new to this forum, and I may not fall within the guidelines... But I am building an 8-foot Destroyer missile class, probably a Burke, to use as a platform to launch ground fireworks. In the past I have built 8ft long scale model battleships and destroyers, loaded them with fireworks, and a cannon fuse. Using the Canon fuses a timer they've worked out pretty well. Constructed out of Gaylord type cardboard, I make them floatable, load them up with guns that are Roman candles make sections for mortars and anything else we can throw in there. Apartments full of loose firecrackers departments full of half-open and loose various fireworks fountains smoke bombs... This time, I'm making a boat to attack this boat. It will have a remote firing system, and I'm trying to figure out how to power it. I have Futaba remote control, and I'm looking on how to power it, I have a cordless circular saw motor, that I can use... I thought about a couple Power Wheels batteries in series, other than that I have no idea how to do any of this... I checked with the local hobby store who I try to support when I can, but when they were quoting $400 without the controller I thought I would reach out. Here's a couple pics of the boat build. She's 8 foot long presently with 11 inch sides... But doing a burke-class the back and we'll probably be lower

Attached Files:

2. WillCover

WillCover -->> C T D <<--

We have people there in muskegon....where do you unleash this hell on earth pirotec?

3. WillCover

Would it be more worth it to build a boat you could use again not to mention would not cause you to get arrested or fined:woot:;):laugh:

Panzer and Anvil_x like this.
  4. Daniel J Bailey

So yes, it will be on Bluffton Bay on Muskegon Lake. And yes this one is designed as a reusable platform. In the past I've just built them out of Gaylord style cardboard to pretty much burned to the waterline after setting off about 40 lb of ground fireworks LOL... It's quite fun actually using cannon fuse to time everything works fairly well, fairly I say, we have sometimes we're ends up all going off more lesson about 3 minutes as opposed to the eighth you plan on LOL. This particular Bill, I'm looking to salvage, recoup, scavenge, and make something that usable and has a long run time. There'll be a pair of tops. 1 top will be for show, that will look like a burke-class type boat, with some details maybe the radar that rolls around, and perhaps just one set of tubes for Roman candles to be used at discretion. The other top, will be a framework with tubes and other hearing devices for fireworks. The hall itself will have several compartments, all reinforced, two light off perhaps one full of loose firecrackers and various loose ground fireworks one or two for having compartments for mortars to go off inside the compartment and blow straight out, to give the appearance of an exploding explosion LOL... I will also use liberally some loose gunpowder and smoke powder to enhance. That particular top will be set up so as things get bloated on and it's ready to go, the framework is then wrapped in tinfoil carefully,. As the sheet metal, and then painted all gray. So as one has some explosions Etc the ship starts to Pier to come apart but still have its framework up top along with various smoke bombs and so the ship will look like it's actually getting completely destroyed the drive system will be completely encased, and safe from all such Mayhem well as best I hope it can be. I won't use anything that has intense concussions as to blow the ship the bits. But I was thinking I have a cordless circular saw that I never used much oh, I read somewhere that makes a good motor. So I'm learning about now, speed controllers prop placement, using a flexible shaft, propellers Etc... I do not want speed, but a little bit of torque would be okay. I also need to figure out what I'm going to do for a runner she's not the most well-engineered Naval architectural wise so I do know from some of the other boats I've built, one that weighed in at 40 + pounds, at seven and a half feet I used a $5, Five Below remote control boat that was literally cut into the bottom, and taped and glued into place. And it actually worked very good course that day the water was very calm so didn't present any issues. It was a cheap little twin-screw boat that steered by the screws and I could turn the boat right or left big lumbering turns but they turned. So with that lesson I know that I don't necessarily need a $400 system. But when I am installing it I do want to do it right but not to an extreme so if there's a catastrophic failure I'm not out a bunch of money.

5. Daniel J Bailey

Yes I've heard those rumors. Course I would never do anything to go against the law or God, or Allah, or Krishna or whoever... if I say I'm installing a remote firing system it's not really like you know a remote firing system. But yes I would like to obtain just info help ideas this one is more of a cobbled build right now, as I need to get it done, I want to be running by June, I don't have much time on my hands extra to do it, and the possibility the whole thing blows two bits and sinks. It's also kind of an exercise in using West system for a friend of mine showing him how to basically build some boats. Our plan is to build something in the upper 20-foot range along the lines of a lobster yacht style, for goofing around and spending time on Muskegon Lake. Muskegon lake is an amazing little Lake, it's right next to Lake Michigan so there's a short Channel to Lake Michigan, and you have the joy of Muskegon Lake which is fairly calm.

Evan Fowler likes this.
  6. Panzer

Panzer Iron Dog Shipwerks and CiderHaus

Welcome to the forum. I am not far from Muskegon lake

Evan Fowler and Daniel J Bailey like this.
  7. Sinkazuki

Sinkazuki Active Member

Dude!
    That's really a cool idea!
    You should make it a submarine

8. Daniel J Bailey

I should equip the silversides...it has great working batteries...

9. Daniel J Bailey

Cool.. what type of craft do you command? Do you operate locally?

10. Daniel J Bailey

She may end up one :whistling:...

11. KeriMorgret

KeriMorgret Facilitator RCWC Staff Vendor

Hi Daniel,

I noticed your messages are coming through as one large block of text, and checking to see what browser you're running to see if there's a problem with the forum and your browser. On other forums, I've seen occasional issues with a particular browser and forum combination stripping all return marks.

Thanks!

12. WillCover

GLAS Great Lakes Attack Squadron, we are the Michigan club for fast gun combat using IRCWCC Rules http://ircwcc.com/main/ We have strict safety rules because we use NAMBA insurance. We only use bb and co2 at 150psi. Because of Liability no one is probably going to answer to many of your questions on this open forum. That said you are more than welcome to come to our May 4 water test/maybe battle and see how we do things.

13. Panzer

SMS VDT(dead Pool)-Battle Ready 4 unit WW1 BC, DKM Altmark- Battle Ready(for another incident) Convoy
    SMS BADENuff -Battle Ready 5.5 unit WW1 Dreadnaught, IJN Agano-Battle Ready 2.5 unit WW2 lite cruiser, IJN Nagato- Battle ready 6 unit WW2 Battleship 1944 Bulged Version
    HMS Invincible, GLAS club loaner(Battle Ready)4 unit WW1 BC

We battle IRCWCC rules, Website Here: http://ircwcc.com/main/

We are getting together on the 4th in GR like Will said, I sometimes run around the lake at the Launch by Balcom's Cove. We generally Battle at the Potters Rd site for most of our local GLAS battles.
    Hope to see you on the water.
    Craig

Last edited: Apr 23, 2019
  14. Daniel J Bailey

Okay, understood... I didn't know it was a thing. So I'm not going to put a remote firing system on the boat, or use fireworks. That said how do I power it? I'm looking for DIY tips Etc. I'm thinking along the lines of either buying a water cooled motor, or using a drill cordless saw motor, ESC, a Servo for a rudder which I have to determine how I'm doing, and I think I'm going to use a flex cable through the bottom to some type of support for the prop. I'd also like to use a couple words are batteries such as maybe a pair of Power Wheels batteries in series oh, so I can have a longer run time. I certainly want to keep within the rules of the government and the state. So you're talkin May 4th? In Grand Rapids? Also balcom's Cove I can see from my house. I live across from the party store that's right up the road there. If you're ever in town
    Also, the shop I'm building it in is right by there too on the way there on Lake Shore Drive at the old Habs Pizza building.

15. Panzer

I know it well, used to get the Brisket at Habs, Miss that place, Is that your big catering trailer out side of it?