Yes another question

Discussion in 'Construction' started by Powder Monkey, Mar 26, 2008.

1. Powder Monkey

Powder Monkey Active Member

I’m not sure the technical name so I will call them skegs, althoug I have heard guys call them wings. what ever the hell they are my question is not that well maybe it is that but not only that but my plans show mine around 1 inch above bilge curve and pretty much right where the balsa starts how do I manage that?[:(]

2. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

The things on the curve of the hull are bilge keels. Skegs are sticky-downy things at the stern (or bow in rare cases, like landing craft that have them). Bilge keels that I've seen are solid, usually made of metal, as wood won't take the abuse. If it's in the way, but you really want to put them on, relocate them down a 1/4" or so...

3. rowboat captain

rowboat captain Member

what are they designed to do?

4. Powder Monkey

You know Tug the second I read that I said “no $#%^ “[}:)]I knew they where called bilge keels Brain fart but any ways thanks for jump starting my brain god knows how long it will run before stalling again probably not very.[xx(] but any who they pretty much would have to be under the hull and be like a 2nd and 3rd keel with the shape of my hull not shore how that will work.

5. Powder Monkey

Hopefully remove some of the roll and from what I understand cruisers roll quite a bit.[B)]

6. crzyhawk

crzyhawk Well-Known Member

The bilge keels as monk said are intended to help reduce rolling. Cruisers at this scale do tend to roll quite a bit. Keeping your center of gravity low is probably going to be a little more important then any benefit from bilge keels. If it were me, I'd probably build without the bilge keeps first, and see how bad your roll is. If it's unacceptable, I'd add them and see if it helps. The reason I suggest trying without them first is, sometimes the bilge keels can make it a little more difficult in re-sheeting your boat. if they aren't helping, then they are hindering in the long run.

7. Powder Monkey

Well if that’s the case than Mr. Dremel and my new ez lock shaft will fix it, ahh nothing like the smell of grinding fiberglass in the morning whizzzzzzzzz[^]

8. Bob

Bob Well-Known Member

I had bildge keels on the USS Minneapolis. It still rolled a lot. I took them off and got a battery that fit in the ship better. Lot less rolling.

9. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

Bilge keels do NOT reduce how far over any ship will roll. If your ship has a high center of gravity, it's going to roll over pretty far, and the only thing you can do about it is to get a lower center of gravity. what bilge keels DO is they reduce the RATE of roll, and how long it takes to STOP rolling afterwards. This is particularly useful to Big Gun torpedo-cruisers, who can use the rocking of their ships as a substitute for a depression servo with a well-timed shot.

The bilge keels that I've seen are either 1/8" ply, or 1/8" balsa. Then again, those are for Big Gun and were never designed to stand up to high-powered Fast Gun cannons.

10. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

I use balsa wedges resin ca and resin to the hull. I sometimes glue a brass strip to the edge of the bilge keel stablizer to protect the edging from chipping or wear. I used styre 'L' bars to the edging. Works well in protecting those edges.

The Roma I used another material.This time Sintra styrene plastic. Much tougher than regular styrene and easier to shape a more accurate looking bilge keel. It was much easier to work with and no waterproofing was required.

11. Anachronus

Anachronus Well-Known Member

Could you post some pictures? I have a K-Class cruiser that I have shelved for the moment due to tippiness issues. Bilge keels should help.