3-d Printed Torpedo Gun

Discussion in 'How-To Guides Discussion' started by BigGunJeff, Jun 29, 2015.

1. BigGunJeff

BigGunJeff Well-Known Member

3-D Printed Torpedo Gun

Read more about this resource...

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2017
    Nibbles1 likes this.
  2. Rob Wood

Rob Wood NAMBA Rep

I'm happy to report that we're past the hoping stage with 7 HMS Kents (County-Class cruiser) for the San Diego Maker Faire, October 3rd & 4th. All 7 cruisers are in the assembly, installation and fitting-out stage. Two separate teams of builders are geared up for this weekend: one for tomorrow and another for Sunday. The goal is for 6 pairs of torpedo guns to be assembled and installed by EOD Sunday.

If anyone is interested in learning about these ships and their innovative weaponry first-hand, you are welcome to come to the San Diego Maker Faire, October 3rd & 4th, in Balboa Park. The ships will be available for guest captains to operate, all weekend long, whether you normally play Big Gun, Fast Gun, Treaty, Battlestations, or some other combat flavor.

All we require, besides current NAMBA membership (we will provide a one-event waiver for those who need it), is a friendly attitude toward our club and its members, and a desire to have fun.

Rob

3. jch72

jch72 Active Member

Greensboro, North Carolina, United States
    Something I always wondered about with the torpedo guns - why do you space the barrels so far apart? Is it a rule? I would think they would look a lot more like a real torpedo launcher if the barrels were touching.

4. Rob Wood

Rob Wood NAMBA Rep

It's a rule. 3 torpedo barrels, ganged together with no spacing between them, firing 1/4" steel balls at point-blank range, would blow a golf ball-sized hole in the target's hull, pretty much every time.

Rob

Anachronus likes this.
  5. jch72

jch72 Active Member

Greensboro, North Carolina, United States
    Ok, I suspected that might be the case , thanks for answering my question so quickly.

6. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

Not sure that I'd be building one, but I'm certainly interested in seeing more on these.

7. rcaircraftnut

rcaircraftnut Well-Known Member

I need 4 of these for my Prinz Eugen project. Willing to build them as soon as I can get all the info together and access to a printer.

8. Captain obvious

Captain obvious Active Member

Big Gun Jeff, Those torps look like they could be deadly and very simple. How has the success been with those and have you sold any of these or updated with a step by step?

9. bmarkb

bmarkb Active Member

Jeff,
    You mentioned in the original post that you would potentially print out the parts and tools. If you are still willing, I would like to request 4 parts kits and one set of tooling. Please PM with pricing .
    Thank you,
    Mark

10. rcaircraftnut

rcaircraftnut Well-Known Member

Printer is supposed to be there before I get home tomorrow. This will be something I make soon. Thanks for the design work as well as sharing.

11. Selley

Selley Active Member

Where do the bb's go ?

12. BigGunJeff

Loaded in the muzzle with a single charge of gas. Shoots 3 1/4" rounds per side before reloading. In the WWCC, we play this type of torp cannon in cruisers a lot.

13. Selley

Selley Active Member

Okay☺

14. Selley

Selley Active Member

sorry to interrupt you again, where can i manage to get the 3d file for the valve and accumulator clamp?

15. BigGunJeff

PM me and I can send you a .zip file. I tried to add it to the resource, but don't think it worked

16. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

you may be able to attach it in the thread here via 'Add Images', accepts zip files

17. BigGunJeff

Here it goes...

Attached Files:

NickMyers likes this.
  18. Selley

Selley Active Member

it works thank you i can use these for the Scharnhorst in the future or for the Dorsetshire

19. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

Ahoy BigGunJeff! I would like to know more about this 3d-printed cannon. Information (asides from the STL files) is distressingly lacking.
    1) What other parts are necessary to complete it? (O-rings, screws, springs, etc)
    2) How are the parts arranged internally? Some photographs would help a lot.
    3) Has there been any further development of this design?

20. BigGunJeff

Here's an 0verview document that covers the design

Attached Files: