3d Printers and Printing Parts

Discussion in 'Digital Design and Fabrication' started by NickMyers, Feb 14, 2015.

1. pigeonfarmboy

pigeonfarmboy Well-Known Member

It's a cool machine for sure. Make sure to look at material costs. When I checked what their 1st generation machine used in resin it was not cheap to operate. Not having to do much work in post-print processing would be really nice. Sometimes removing rafts and support structure is a real pain depending on the part.

Here's their proprietary software. https://formlabs.com/tools/preform/?utm_content=main-nav

Would really open up how detailed you could print. Cranes, Lifeboats, and Planes would be no problem for this thing!

Last edited: May 12, 2017
  2. buttsakauf

buttsakauf Well-Known Member

I have been keeping an eye on the 3D printing community. I bought a cheap one but it is wholly inadequate. Something that has piqued my interest is the following:
    http://www.3ders.org/articles/20161...rinter-now-available-through-kickstarter.html

Here is the current indigogo:

View: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/morpheus-delta-affordable-resin-3d-printer#/

It looks to combine many desireable features into a reasonable price point. The main question for me is quality of execution. They do already have a product on the market. Hmm

3. Beaver

Beaver 2020 Rookie of the Year Admiral (Supporter)

Looks interesting, but has a pretty small build space compared to a lot of other printers on the market.

4. BigGunJeff

BigGunJeff Well-Known Member

I've got a Form 2, and it prints very fine detail. The support structures are a pain to clean up though, and the resin after printing is not as stable as thermoplastic printers. Basically the resins cure with UV light, and can become brittle with continued exposure and time. For a boat that is getting shot at I would stick with thermoplastic printers (FFF).

NickMyers likes this.
  5. Lou

Lou It's just toy boats -->> C T D <<-- Admiral (Supporter)

Is there a website for the most recent reviews of printers? I see some stuff, but I wonder if it is clever advertising or just plain bogus

6. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

You should know that resin printers like the Form2 have limited production volume and the material (resin) is not cheap like FDM filament is. They're great if you're making smallish things you intend to cast though.

Software just go with Fusion 360

7. NickMyers

The first rule of 3d printers... don't buy in via Kickstarter or similar platforms. Really. Don't. Unless you don't like your money, in which case, send your money to me and don't expect anything back and you'll achieve the same end result with less frustration.

Beaver likes this.
  8. NickMyers

nothing i would particularly trust, seems everyones got some level of stake in things and a lot of reviewers are still in the 'kiss ass because you're giving me this free' stage of evolution. 3d Printing over at Reddit maintains a monthly thread of printer stuff that might be worth skimming.

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/3Dprinting/comments/68wuud/3d_printing_purchase_recommendations_what_printer/

if youre interested in anything specific, let us know before you buy and we'll give you honest thoughts. What are you planning to use your printer for?

9. Beaver

I almost made the mistake of ordering a kickstarter printer. SO glad I didn't.

NickMyers likes this.
  10. stevenj

stevenj New Member

The big weakness of a standard 3d printer is fine detail like a crane, the gantry like structure is a real challenge. It should however print a lifeboat, main structures and hulls fine. Wanhao do a Duplicator7 but their quality control is non-existant but I think its only about $400US.

11. NickMyers

I'm curious as to what you bought and why its inadequate. Some of the cheapos are true scrap, some can be turned into good machines.

12. buttsakauf

I got the problem plagued TIKO. It is an enclosed delta printer. The motors that drive the legs have backlash issues and the rail tolerances are off. Some teflon tape wraps and grease supposedly helps quite a bit. It catches the nozzle and ends up with bad layer shifting. After 2 weeks of tinkering I quit. I need to do the known fixes then try again.

13. NickMyers

ooo
    tiko
    yeah
    sorry
    throw it in the trash

14. buttsakauf

It is good in theory. Poor in practice. The software worked well. Filament feed was good and didn't have jamming issues. With the exception of layer shift it was doing well enough given its price. It fell pretty flat on the small details too. Also the baseplate they used worked awesome. Nothing needed. Just pop your work off by flexing it a touch. Had to manually calibrate the print head each time to mitigate issues (2min extra). I backed this in 2014-15 and just waited. Knowing what I do now I will use whatever I'm interested in first before buying.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 12, 2017
  15. stevenj

stevenj New Member

OMG that is bad. I do like my Wanhao D6 for print quality, even if their QA is really bad and I had to spend some months sorting it. Now its a workhorse.....

Attached Files:

Beaver likes this.
  16. stevenj

stevenj New Member

[QUOTE="buttsakauf, [/QUOTE]

Can you send me a stl of the turret? I'll give it a go.

17. Beaver

buttsakauf and stevenj like this.
  18. buttsakauf

19. Lou

Lou It's just toy boats -->> C T D <<-- Admiral (Supporter)

I would like to make stuff for the boats, and I will eventually start working on my plastic model stash (display only).
    My intention would be to learn this skill to compliment my scratch building and repairing stuff around the house. I don't want it to be another hobby that will take away from building/battling, but in the same breath I don't want to limit myself with something "fast and easy" that is not compatible or can grow in the future.

20. SnipeHunter

SnipeHunter Well-Known Member