Bismarck Superstructure [Deleted]

Discussion in '3d Printer Part File Discussion' started by darkapollo, Jan 20, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darkapollo

darkapollo Well-Known Member

darkapollo submitted a new resource:

Bismarck Superstructure - Ready to print, multiple part, little support needed.

Read more about this resource...

2. darkapollo

Just noticed a major flaw with the super structure. I will be repairing and uploading a fixed version.

3. darkapollo

4. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Excellent. I was waiting for the McFadden superstructure to be updated to a Tirpitz version. Thank you so much!!

darkapollo likes this.
  5. darkapollo

The Tirpitz had a slightly different superstructure.
    The rear range finders were domed not exposed. The tower radar was substantially larger.
    The bridge between the tower and the funnel was removed or not built.
    The funnel cap was enlarged.
    The boat cranes were inboard and up on the L1 deck not the weather deck.
    The L1 deck was extended to slightly beyond the hull to support the cranes and tertiary guns.

Modifications easy enough to make but there are visible and obvious differences.

6. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Interesting. I was not aware that the funnel cap was enlarged. I am about to download the files . Can't print them yet as I have new nozzles on order for my printer.

7. darkapollo

Also there were additional AA mounts added to Tirpitz.

A 10,000’ view of the differences:
    https://forum.worldofwarships.com/topic/64261-whats-the-difference-bismarck-class/

Easy enough changes to make to the files if one was so inclined. I may, if I build a Tirpitz.
    Also the Tirpitz was longer as the Bismarck did not have the Atlantic bow as launched, it was added after sea trials. Tirpitz was built with it, adding almost 9’ to her length.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2021
  8. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Yes I knew about the length differences and mostly everything else . 9 ft would be correct as Bjsmarck's overall length was measured without the Atlantic bow just the straight stem prior to launch. The engine plant was also longer in Tirpitz resulting in a more tapered stern which was a little longer than Bismarck's .

My nozzles arrived so I am going to install them and hopefully get the Arizona super structure started again .

darkapollo likes this.
  9. nmmichris

nmmichris Member

just wondering but i opened the files for the super structure and measured in fusion 360 and for soem reason the measured distance is massive. i opened the level 3 file and just wanted to see hwo wide it was and fusion is saying its 33 inches wide.. just wondering if its me or something im doing wrong. most likely somethign im doing but figured id ask... GREAT work btw though.. look forward to printing this... will have to look into what you mentioned for tirpitz as i have that ship aswell.

10. Beaver

Beaver 2020 Rookie of the Year Admiral (Supporter)

Try changing your units to mm before importing.

darkapollo and Fridge like this.
  11. Fridge

Fridge Active Member

Gonna second what Beaver said, set Fusion to default to mm measurements instead of inches. In Cura, when I was first learning CAD software, trying to slice my drawings ended up getting some teeny little things, after I realized it thought my inches I'd drawn in Fusion were millimeters, and I had to rescale everything. It sounds like you're having the reverse problem.

Alternatively, if you still wanna measure in inches by default in Fusion, you could use the scale function and set the scale factor to 1÷25.4, which should be the scale conversion from inches to millimeter size. That would probably "un-convert" everything back down to the original drawing sizes.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2021
  12. Beaver

Beaver 2020 Rookie of the Year Admiral (Supporter)

Once imported you should be able to change the units back to inches. Not 100% on that but give it a try?

13. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Do I have to use Fusion. Ca I use Cura or Simply 3D?

14. darkapollo

The files are in mm so there is no need to convert if that is already your default in your slicers.

100% you’re fusion defaults are in inches. I never use imperial units with engineering and CAD. STL files are really only a list of cartesian triangle points with no other reference. So if your defaults are inches, Fusion is going to read the points and associate them to an inch grid.
    What size is your printer bed? Everything has been meticulously cut to fit on a 200x200 square bed which is the most common small size for an FDM.

15. nmmichris

nmmichris Member

I set the default to MM and im still getting enormous structure measurements. I have an ender 5 so the print area isnt the issue. I was just looking at the details before sending to cura. guess i was wantign to see it all fit together and see dimenions before printing

16. Fridge

Fridge Active Member

Did some digging, might've figured it out. I tried converting and comparing to a Cura test render, and I was getting strange size discrepancies. I learned one thing; Fusion doesn't like opening .stl files.

Instead, import them using the Insert dropdown and select the target piece you want to insert. I used the Level3 Citidel as reference.
    importing stls.png
    Make sure you're setting your unit type to millimeters. I centered the object and then moved it to ground, just to center it on my origin plane.
    importing stls1.png
    I measured it (I'm defaulted to inches, learned CAD that way in highschool) and traced it with a sketch and showed measurements.
    importing stls2.png
    I compared it to my print bed in Cura. I print on a standard Ender 3, the print bed is roughly a 9 1/4" square bed, and the print takes up roughly 1/3 of the bed area from top to bottom when I'm eyeballing it, so I'm fairly certain it's the right size.
    importing stls3.png
    Not very scientific, but that's what I found works. If you're just printing, Cura takes them with no scaling required and no questions asked. Hope this helps.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2021
    darkapollo and CURT like this.
  17. nmmichris

nmmichris Member

Fridge came up with a solution. Not sure why it makes any difference but i did inport as a mesh and it works rather than just opening the stl. Attached is a dimension of the same file if just opened in fusion

Attached Files:

18. OverThinker

OverThinker Member

So are the files for the front and rear range finders in this resource because I wasn’t able to find them while trying to download

19. darkapollo

20. OverThinker

OverThinker Member

hey i was wondering were you planning on adding the Barbettes B&C from the Mcfadden in the near future? ive hopelessly tried recreating them but haven't really been able to learn Tinkercad

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.