Building out wood hulls

Discussion in 'Construction' started by diceman42, Aug 3, 2023.

1. diceman42

diceman42 Member

After bsgkid117 mentioned a curve to the bow of my build, I've gone back over the instructions from 94', and originally written in 89' with addendums. I've also been going through older build threads as well to see how these builds have changed over the years.

The biggest change looks like the 45/60 rule mentioned in a Tennessee, or Texas, or BG Texas. It looks like stringers are allowed again with this rule as well. Greg's deutschland has a similar woodworking design also had.
    Do most people building wooden hulls to the straight guide keels?

2. bsgkid117

bsgkid117 Vendor

You can look in my Jean Bart build thread for when I designed and built my original wooden Bart. On ships with a curved/atlantic bow which is basically anything after the 19teens and some during/before, you either need to very carefully assemble the ship upside down on top of a board that is shaped to that curve. Or you need to set the keels flat on the table and build the ship upright.

I don't know what rule set you are building this ship for, so I can't comment on basically any of your other questions. If you are building to IRCWCC We have a 45° rule, not a 60°, and stringers are allowed on ships that deserve them. Normally for a armor belt that protrudes from the side of the boat or for the case of a lot of British cruisers the bow knuckle that they have.

3. diceman42

diceman42 Member

SCRAP is the closest club to me, and they are IRCWCC. The original build instructions were for IAMWC, and I have an adendum for 94' IRCWCC. But that leaves a lot of differences. Some of which involve removing the bottom of the ribs...the bow knuckle was part of my thought process. But also if the stringers would be okay for the beginning of the 45 degree downward angle to keep the keel straight?

4. bsgkid117

bsgkid117 Vendor

I'm not really sure what you mean here.

If you look at my JB build, you'll see I used "stringers" to define the bottom of the ship's penetrable area and to provide some rigidity during construction.

Basically, if it's in the otherwise impenetrable areas of the hull, we don't care what you end up doing. The issue is if you start giving yourself more impenetrable area in your penetrable zones, i.e. putting a stringer where it doesnt belong right down the middle of the ship.

diceman42 likes this.