Cad to Kit: SMS Deutschland Class

Discussion in 'Warship Builds' started by GregMcFadden, Oct 23, 2015.

1. GregMcFadden

GregMcFadden Facilitator RCWC Staff

Parts arrived today. In the process of inventorying/verifying that they fit.

as an aside, I took a moment to do the following test. I plan to repeat when I have a batch of resin (and hopefully a functional chrony) made up in the waterproofed and waterproofed and glassed state for the wood. all 3 were hit with one of my BB guns shooting much faster than any cannon should be able to. Chrony was non functional so no speed data this time. Wood is 1/4" and 1/8" thick. plastic is 1/16" ABS
    IMG_20170110_225502.jpg

IMG_20170110_225512.jpg

Lou likes this.
  2. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

When you run your next round of testing, don't forget to include edge impacts, too.

3. GregMcFadden

edge impacts are rather harsh on wood and don't photo well here. for example, the part above when hit end on point blank from the same BB gun as before, dimples by 1/2 bb diameter and delaminates the plywood layers for ~1" in both directions from the impact zone. this can be mitigated with glass fiber overlay for edge on or other reinforcement (even the balsa layer of sheeting helps) but edge on is really harsh. I typically touch up the epoxy on my superstructure daily for that AND i will put some dope on noticeable impacts when patching just to reduce water ingress.

I also started using a thin layer of E6000 over a light glass layer on the more damage prone regions of ribs. it seems to help quite a bit with the impact damage.

for 1/16" abs side on, the round deforms the plastic for ~1/2 bb diameter with no cracking. This is why I am seriously considering laminating two 1/16" layers together and using them for stringers on my ships. it also would let me mold in a layer of glass or carbon for stiffness, as abs is significantly less stiff than plywood.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
  4. GregMcFadden

IMG_20170112_000658.jpg
    No glue, just a fit check

rcengr, Tugboat, Panzer and 1 other person like this.
  5. GregMcFadden

now to take it all back apart and let my son help build it.

dietzer and NickMyers like this.
  6. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

ME WANT!

Anachronus likes this.
  7. GregMcFadden

We have the laser cut errata sorted out and are finalizing our costs. Order window will open soon

Panzer likes this.
  8. Lou

Lou It's just toy boats -->> C T D <<-- Admiral (Supporter)

Order up! Pepsi, no coke

[​IMG]

NickMyers and Tugboat like this.
  9. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

10. NickMyers

upload_2017-1-21_3-39-0.png

ish311 and jadfer like this.
  11. dietzer

dietzer Admiral (Supporter)

I'm interested, but need to know if this kit would make a Treaty-compliant hull. What is the rib thickness and spacing? I went back thru the thread today, but didn't see that info posted anywhere...

12. NickMyers

Has Treaty gone more restrictive than IRCWCC?

0.25inch ribs
    Greg can confirm, but glancing at the partial model I have.. it honors the 1" minimum rib spacing of IRCWCC, tightest spacing appears to be towards the bow.

13. GregMcFadden

That is how it is.

14. dietzer

Dunno. I'm not familiar with the IRCWCC rules. I've only been building for Battlestations so far, but I'm branching out into Treaty now.

Treaty has max 3/8" ribs with a min spacing of 1", no more than 15% of hull length can be solid material. So from what you've said, I think it will be fine for Treaty.

Thanks! Can't wait to get my hands on this gorgeous kit...

NickMyers likes this.
  15. NickMyers

Yup. Thats a match to the ircwcc requirements.

16. rcengr

rcengr Vendor

Treaty rules for hard area are identical to IRCWCC.

NickMyers likes this.
  17. GregMcFadden

Note below. A few detail parts are still being printed for the prototype (wing shields for example)

I will annotate many of these images later as they will tell exactly how to build it. So far only a few tricky parts

1. don't forget to install the motor mount. it gets harder to get in if you forget to put it in the ribs
    2. Bow half of the ship first. stern requires a bit of patience to get it all aligned and having the bow ready for it helps
    3. Order of build be it bow or stern is to install the ribs onto the solid that forms the bottom of the penetrable area first, then get the alternate side in. Then put in keel parts.
    4. I did not do this as part of the demo build, but the etched lines on parts are there to enable pre-sanding and contouring of parts before installation. I did not do pre-sanding because some etched lines were on the wrong side in the prototype parts, since corrected in the CAD file. basic gist of it is that you sand between line on one side and edge of part on the other. helps keep things in correct shape.
    5. installing brass press in threaded bits if used is a bit of an art, including test part for practice so you don't have to practice on real parts. no big deal if you do it wrong, it just adds a crack in the thinner wood sections, which does not matter as long as it is straight (no risk of cracking 1/4" stuff). I have pictures of installation method that I will post later

Attached Files:

Tugboat, Lou and dietzer like this.
  18. dietzer

Gorgeous, simply gorgeous!

You guys are really making detailed, professional quality kit. Well done, and keep up the great work!

19. GregMcFadden

The build pictures from the superstructure are attached. this is about 90%+ of the parts and all major components. Only a few bits still remain to add.

Attached Files:

20. NickMyers

A few minor alignment issues in those pictures that should be fixed in the upcoming batch of parts, increasing some slot sizes to allow a little more adjustment on fit