Currently available solid modeling packages

Discussion in 'Digital Design and Fabrication' started by GregMcFadden, Dec 18, 2021.

1. GregMcFadden

GregMcFadden Facilitator RCWC Staff

All, here is a list of currently available CAD packages that are available at low or no cost as of 12/18/2021 Listed in approximately the order I would try them out if I was looking for a new package today.

Solid Edge:
    https://www.plm.automation.siemens.com/plmapp/education/solid-edge/en_us/free-software/community
    -Biggest single advantage: Free, and a never expires standalone software, unlike every other option in this list
    -Still looking for biggest disadvantage, haven't used it a ton yet. Plan to transition from solidworks to this at some point this year.

Solidworks
    https://discover.solidworks.com/makers
    Cost: $100/yr
    Biggest advantage: Well, its solidworks
    Biggest disadvantage: 3dexperience platform, and occasional 1 to 2 day time periods where you can not use it due to "Updates". You will be forced to stay current, no option to happily operate on an older version

Creo
    https://www.ptc.com/en/products/education/free-software/creo-college-download
    Pro's: Free for students, yet to have anyone not be considered a student, and can draw certain math driven surfaces better than solidworks (gyroidal surfaces anyone)
    Cons'... well, it's Creo, you either love it or hate it.

Fusion 360
    https://www.autodesk.com/products/fusion-360/overview
    Free , if somewhat limited version. What the free version can and can not do has changed so many times in the last few years that I have lost track of what it is and is not capable of anymore.

Autodesk Inventor
    If you are a student at an institution that licenses the package, you may be able to get it. Contemporary to solidworks, solidedge, creo
    https://www.autodesk.com/education/edu-software/overview?sorting=featured&filters=individual

2. darkapollo

darkapollo Well-Known Member

As a long time Fusion360 user (back when free and paid werent very different) the only hinderance restrictions are the number of open documents. My boat projects often exceed the 10 ‘editable’ document limit. It is just annoying to constantly flip from edit to read only.
    It wont import some file types, or export some. But it will do STEP and that is a ‘universal solid’ format so good enough.

notSoGnarly and bsgkid117 like this.
  3. bsgkid117

bsgkid117 Vendor

No issues with the free version here. Even using it to run a CNC and haven't really hit any limitations that make me go "Damn I wish I had the $400 license."

Only thing that's kind of annoying is the ability to export drawings as PDF's has been locked behind the paywall. But you can get around it by just using print to PDF in the system dialog. Useful for drawing out a hull/ribs/etc, flattening it into a PDF, and sending it to Staples to have them print it out so you can cut + glue on wood and get building.

notSoGnarly likes this.
  4. Caractacus Patt

Caractacus Patt Member

I enjoy Fusion360, but as of last spring it won't run on my laptop anymore, keeps throwing an error right after starting - very frustrating! I've been in contact with tech support, but no resolution; has anyone else experienced this?

5. darkapollo

darkapollo Well-Known Member

On my iMac that I used for CAD for like 8 years, stopped working last year because they stopped supporting it. Maybe just an out of date computer issue?

6. jcollins

jcollins Active Member

What is the error?

7. Caractacus Patt

Caractacus Patt Member

Here is a screenshot of the error report:
    360Error.jpg

I'm afraid it's not very informative. Another possible issue may be I had a student license for several years, and when it came time to renew my license I had graduated, and therefore switched to a maker license; however, the program will run with the new license on my desktop computer, which has a much beefier processer and a state-of-the-art (circa 2006...) video card.

Yes, darkapollo, I suspect the final answer will be something in my laptop became "unsupported." :(

8. jcollins

jcollins Active Member

9. Caractacus Patt

Caractacus Patt Member

Thank you for that advice - I have just uninstalled the program, but I'll reload it and see what it says.

10. Xanthar

Xanthar Well-Known Member

With a little bit of work, one can use FreeCAD to build ship models.
    Check out the progress on my I-Boat here.

11. Xanthar

Xanthar Well-Known Member

Hackspace magazine has just released a free PDF format ebook that has a ton of good info and quick projects in it to help one use FreeCAD.