Drivetrain parts for Deutschland?

Discussion in 'SMS Deutschland Kit Related' started by Radioman, Jul 5, 2017.

1. Radioman

Radioman Active Member

Any recommendations on motor size,prop ,pump and length of stuffing tube. Would like to get most of what is needed before I start the build. Thanks.

2. Radioman

Radioman Active Member

Another question, do you have a part number for the gear box and what ever gears will be needed? Thanks again.

3. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

For the gearbox you need basically half of this:

View: https://www.amazon.com/Traxxas-1521R-Villain-Motor-Mounting/dp/B000BP2U3O/
    (you'll need to cut the aluminum plate (blue) in half)
    This is the drive gear that common is used with it:

View: https://www.amazon.com/Traxxas-1526-28-T-Drive-Screw/dp/B0006O5G86/

And you'll need to pick out a 32P pinion to fit your motor shaft and speed to get the correct ratio.
    Something like this

View: https://www.amazon.com/Traxxas-3944-14-T-Pinion-Gear/dp/B0006O5L2M/

Pump probably depends on if youre building Treaty or IRCWCC, and if you're aiming half unit or full unit and how much power you intend to throw at the pump / pack into the ship.
    For motors are you thinking brushed or brushless?

Prop size I believe was targeted at 1.5inch?

@GregMcFadden - can you get the stuffing tube length information?

Stephen over at StrikeModels did borrow one of the prototypes for a few hours and I understand worked up a list of components to suit. Might be worth dropping him an email and seeing what he's got in mind for it.

4. Radioman

Radioman Active Member

Which type of motor is the best, brushed or brushless? It makes no difference since I will also need a speed control. Thanks Nick.

5. NickMyers

ahhh, brushed vs brushless might take us into a religious war of some sort.

Brushed are often held up to be cheaper, reliable and simple, often with bushings rather than bearings, and well suited to the abuse we subject them to.

Brushless OTOH are more often held up as more expensive, harder to understand, use bearings rather than bushings (those bearings need to be maintained for optimal performance) but they are however usually more power efficient.

The hobby has been heavily brushed for a long time, and you may find it difficult to mate up a brushless motor to an off the shelf pump. Likewise it may be difficult to find one with the same bolt pattern as a standard 550 brushed motor for the drivetrain - though that problem is at least solvable by creating a new plate to replace the stock aluminum one.

I personally intend to drive my Deutschland with a brushless motor, they're also conveniently smaller for the same power output and space inside these hulls is going to be at a premium.

6. NickMyers

7. SteveT44

SteveT44 Well-Known Member

What voltage and prop do you plan on running? That will determine, more than anything, a drive-train recommendation.

8. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

how about we list various recommended combinations? I believe someone already mentioned the hull can fit up to 1.5" props (is this true?), so the next question is what electrical system to use. lots of options there, 6V SLA, 7.2V NiMH, 7.4V LiPo, 11.1V LiPo, and the various LiFe combos are all possible in this kind of boat.

9. SteveT44

Kick Ass Brushed Setup
    Review Tyng Barham build for dog-bone-less installation

dietzer likes this.
  10. Beaver

Beaver 2020 Rookie of the Year Admiral (Supporter)

Deutschland had three propellers so you'd just power the center one. You'd only need one motor, mount, collet, and prop. :D But otherwise wouldn't be a bad setup.

11. SteveT44

In that case I'd go with a RobotPower Wasp instead of the Spark controller. Saves space. Another option is an HK controller modded for higher voltage.

12. GregMcFadden

GregMcFadden Facilitator RCWC Staff

Yes, 1.5" prop fits. just be careful not to add too much filler/glass thickness on the bottom or you may have to slip the prop back a skosh towards the rudder

-Greg

13. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

It's been a while and I haven't seen anybody building these boats. I'm going to start in the next week or two (build thread coming soon), so it's time to pick out a drive system. Given my lack of experience with Fast Gun builds, any input is appreciated. I have two Deutschland kits to build, and two 5-bladed 1.5" diameter props, of approximately 20 degree pitch. What sort of motor should I try, if I plan to use 2S 7.4v LiPo batteries?

Last edited: Apr 4, 2018
  14. GregMcFadden

GregMcFadden Facilitator RCWC Staff

here is my plan https://photos.app.goo.gl/1OAbSxVR5zjn3fvG2 since 5mm pinions are readily available and that motor now comes with a 5mm shaft. I am using a 4mm (3/16", not sure which one right now) and a 4mm female bullet terminal as a sleeve to go up to 5mm (OD of the 4mm female bullet connector is 5mm)

https://photos.app.goo.gl/aOA0tHHRNb7PINhh1

and for the sidemount... fully self contained 1 unit turret
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/cKeRzMSaXfSLkFQW2

still working on the twins for it, haven't made them work yet