Good ship for Fast Gun

Discussion in 'Ship Comparison' started by jstod, Sep 27, 2019.

1. jstod

jstod Well-Known Member

Seriously considering building a fast gun ship. My question is what is a suggested good ship that isn’t to complex, isn’t to small or big. My natural battling style is to sail straight at the enemy and blast away regardless if they will sink me easily or not lol you could say I am a reckless skipper lol

2. Nibbles1

Nibbles1 Well-Known Member

Vac-U-Fletcher/Vac-U-Gearing?

It looks really easy and I have built a noncombat Fletcher. It was really pleasant.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2019
  3. jstod

jstod Well-Known Member

Although super cool and a definite future build might be too small

4. Kevin P.

Kevin P. Well-Known Member

Probably something class 4 (early dreadnoughts or battle cruisers). You get two side-firing cannons, big enough that builds are relatively easy, small enough that they turn well and can avoid a pounding most of the time. BC has several available, I made a bunch or the Courbet class last year which have done quite well

Destroyers are more of a novelty. Good for getting on the water on a tight budget or for campaign battles, don’t contribute a whole lot to fleet battles.

jstod likes this.
  5. Bob

Bob Well-Known Member

Sydletz and Von Der Tan are both goodnclass 4 staters. Get them at BC.

jstod likes this.
  6. jstod

jstod Well-Known Member

Solid advice thanks

7. jstod

jstod Well-Known Member

Both German? I like that haha

8. jstod

jstod Well-Known Member

The seydlitz looks like the ship for me. Looks like a beautiful ship. Definitely getting ahead of my self but out of curiosity how do ppl usually set up the ship?

9. Anvil_x

Anvil_x Well-Known Member

That'd be @Charley 's favorite boat, if I recall correctly.

Don't disregard the VDT too quickly though. A novice flailing around with a VDT is a difficult target, and the one time I squared off against a VDT with a competent driver, I came away with a lot of holes and he sailed off to pummel somebody else.

10. Kevin P.

Typical setup is dual stern guns 15 degrees off, haymaker (full unit), bow sidemount (half unit), full unit pump. They are pretty killer due to the very low freeboard aft, 24 seconds

Here is Charley's build thread. He changed the guns around after that thread to what I listed above
    https://rcwarshipcombat.com/threads/sms-seydlitz-build.444806/

Here is my build thread. Pretty much gets it to its current state
    https://rcwarshipcombat.com/threads/seydlitz-build-ircwcc.445029/

Deck kit is really nice, but with the setup shown you need to make sure everything works when it goes in (especially aft guns which stay in the boat), kind of a PITA to fix (first time quality important)

11. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

How about an Invincible? I have a hull, cut and sheeted, with cannons (not mounted yet). It was literally the first Invincible hull made by Strike Models.

12. Bob

Bob Well-Known Member

The iBoats are also good first time ships. A lot like the VDT without all the casements.

13. modelshipsahoy

modelshipsahoy Vendor

Modelshipsahoy makes a sweet thick sided Class 4 Florida with 5 bullet resistant turrets and a full sized plan for $129 with free shipping in the US
    It’s been getting rave reviews. We’ve been told by several customers it’s the best boat they have bought in many years doing this hobby.

663555ED-745B-41A7-9820-15C6DA6BA80B.jpeg 8100F4A7-7BE7-4236-91FE-71BCB9B80A36.jpeg F37E6FD5-90E4-4D21-B73E-98D7BB32A354.jpeg

Attached Files:

diceman42 likes this.
  14. jstod

jstod Well-Known Member

Thanks for info I had actually just went through your entire build thread haha

15. jstod

jstod Well-Known Member

I do like y’alls work. Hmmm

16. jstod

jstod Well-Known Member

Where does one get one of those hulls now the strike is no more?

How about the Lion that BC sells? Good option?

17. GregMcFadden

GregMcFadden Facilitator RCWC Staff

Do you want glass or wood? all the suggestions here are good ones. I really like the provence, but I don't think stephen is up to laser cutting another kit any time soon (could always ask).

18. Kevin P.

Gun placement on Lion isn't very desirable with only one aft turret. Also is pretty long and has no extra hard area. Certain captains could probably be effective, but it's an uphill battle. Iron Duke would be a much better alternative (shorter, more guns, more impenetrable area)

19. jstod

jstod Well-Known Member

I will ALWAYS prefer a laser cut hull over fiberglass lol but having built two of yours I know they do take some extra time and effort. But then again don’t have to cut windows out which I hate lol

20. GregMcFadden

GregMcFadden Facilitator RCWC Staff

then ping stephen to see if he has interest in one last provence. I did that design then sold the design to him (you can see my thread on rcwc for pictures) and the 3d printed cannons I have posted are designed specifically for it and duca. you might also find a laser cut deutsland predred out there unbuilt, but it may be a bit trickier due to low reserve buoyancy