Hello from SoCal

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by diceman42, Jun 25, 2023.

1. diceman42

diceman42 Member

Years ago in a magazine I ran across this hobby. I bought a kit for the HMS Exeter from SkunkWorks but life got in the way, and I never built it. My kid recently ran across a Youtube video of some RC warship action, and I pulled the box out of storage. Most of the paper is still in pretty good shape.

While I have some RC, and modeling experience. I've never built a RC boat let alone a warship.

notSoGnarly likes this.
  2. notSoGnarly

notSoGnarly Well-Known Member

diceman42 likes this.
  3. diceman42

diceman42 Member

Thanks, I've got a lot of videos to digest.

notSoGnarly likes this.
  4. notSoGnarly

notSoGnarly Well-Known Member

You're leagues ahead of me when I started. Folks here and on the discord will get ya there!

Unfortunately I don't know anyone in SoCal that battles. They might be there, I just don't know them.

diceman42 likes this.
  5. diceman42

diceman42 Member

According to the club locations section of the forum, SCRAP is in Pasadena, and they battle at lake in Chino. http://scrapcombatships.com/ So they aren't terribly far. Back when I first picked up the kit, I only found one club, and it was way up in NorCal.

6. JustinScott

JustinScott Well-Known Member

@Kotori87 - you're from cali originally... can you make some intros for diceman?

diceman42 likes this.
  7. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

I'll let the California Big Gunners on this forum introduce themselves. They're based out of Watsonville, although some of them travel from as far as Sacramento. Then there's crazy old me, driving all the way from Washington. There is also a Fast Gun club in the LA area, but I have not battled with them.

8. Litch42f

Litch42f Well-Known Member

20230603_101825.jpg Hi there, I'm part of SCRAP, we are still active, just had battle this month! We are going to try and battle on July 1st. However, the moss and weeds tend to start growing aggressively as the warm weather rolls in so it's a 50/50 shot. Let me know if you have any questions or would like more information about attending an event and/or starting a ship.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 26, 2023
    BigGunJeff likes this.
  9. diceman42

diceman42 Member

Hi, I was thinking of trying to hit up the August event as I've got a family thing this weekend.

Do you guys do build events too?

10. Impulse_cat

Impulse_cat New Member

Yes SCRAP does occassionally have build days. I personally have had one of the more experienced members help me alot with my Graf Spee during build days.

diceman42 likes this.
  11. BigGunJeff

BigGunJeff Well-Known Member

Hi Diceman

I'm with Western Warship Combat Club, the group that Kotori mentioned battles in Watsonville. Pretty far from you, but thought I'd reach out and say Hi. Let me know if I can help you in any way

12. diceman42

diceman42 Member

Ya, that's at least a 6 hour drive. So far I've focused on pulling out the kit, making sure I still have all the parts, and dry fitting/sanding. What do you guys use for keeping the joints together, and what glue should I be looking at? At least that's my first question when looking at the kit currently.

13. Litch42f

Litch42f Well-Known Member

So our July battle for tomorrow has been canceled due to lake moss. That also means we will be on battle hiatus until October. The first Saturday in October will be our next battle.

diceman42 likes this.
  14. diceman42

diceman42 Member

Are you guys planning any build sessions? I noticed the scrap page mentioned that this were typically the weekend after a battle.

15. Impulse_cat

Impulse_cat New Member

I was told probably not until September.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2023
    diceman42 likes this.
  16. Elis Roza

Elis Roza New Member

Hey Big Gun,
    I'm in San jose, ca and close to watsonville... is this still an active group? The sites are aged....

Josh