HMS Barham - Fastgun

Discussion in 'Warship Builds' started by SteveT44, Jul 27, 2014.

1. SteveT44

SteveT44 Well-Known Member

The next build coming out of TyngTech shipyards will be the QE class HMS Barham. The fourth of her class to be launched, she was the only one not to survive WW2. Three German torpedoes sent her to the bottom.
    [​IMG]

I'm building the Barham because, unlike her sisters, she kept all her lovely casemates though her rebuilds. Who could give up all that impenetrable area?
    [​IMG]

A hull was acquired from a top secret facility. I'm not sure what I'll do with all that space? Definitely more real estate than the Mogador.
    [​IMG]

This will be the bulged version. Though not as "scale" as the QE hulls currently coming out of Canada, this version will do just fine.
    [​IMG]

Cannons and pump were pulled from the old VU. I'll have to build a fourth cannon for this beast.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 3, 2015
  2. mike5334

mike5334 Well-Known Member

Nice looking hull. It would work great for a pre-1922 refit version. :)

3. Maxspin

Maxspin -->> C T D <<--

I will be watching this one with interest. I just plunked down $$$ for a hull to make a Barham as well.

Keith

4. dietzer

dietzer Admiral (Supporter)

If you don't mind my asking, what solenoids are you using on those cannons?

5. SteveT44

Those are KIP's.

6. Maxspin

Maxspin -->> C T D <<--

Steve,
    Being that I live on the Left coast, I don’t get to look in too many boats. New ideas are hard to see first hand.
    I have been intrigued by this gun that you have posted on a couple of different occasions. I was hoping you could elaborate on a couple of points for someone who would like to try to duplicate it.:p
    1. What is the fitting between the solenoid and the interrupter “T”. 1/8” male to female elbow. I tried to order one, but did not get what I was trying to order.
    2. OK it doesn’t look like a “T” in the picture. What is that?
    3. Air is coming in the side, and back out the bottom. Something needs to be holding the interrupter piston out of the way??? :confused:
    Keith

7. SteveT44

That my dear fellow is a 1/8" NPT to 1/4" 90 degree inverted flair fitting. You can find them at an auto parts store. A standard tee threads into the female section just fine (same threads). The flair positions the selector. I even fit in an o-ring between the tee and flair fitting for a nice gas tight seal. There's more going on internally with the mag charging port than what can be seen in the pics. I'll dissemble one and post some pics.
    The cannon design is my attempt to shorten the gas runs as much as possible (for quicker firing times) and to ensure a rock solid piston seating before mag pressurization (to eliminate double feeds). They have not been battle tested yet but on the bench, they shoot very consistently, fast, and hard. They were blowing through two coke cans at 150psi if I recall.
    [​IMG]

8. Maxspin

Maxspin -->> C T D <<--

Steve,
    When I saw your design, I could see what you were doing 1/8” input to cannon, NO hose, built in mounting system.
    All good stuff.
    Looking forward to seeing what’s inside.
    Keith

9. SteveT44

Seperate thread on my cannon design.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2017
  10. SteveT44

After a few month's it seems I've got the boatbuilding itch again. Time to dust off the Barham hull.

Had to remove some excess glass left on by the supplier. This little pull saw worked well for the task.

[​IMG]

After determining the lowest spot on the "factory edge", a line is scribed that will be sanded to.

[​IMG]

After a bit of work with the sanding block.

[​IMG]

TyngTech precise!

[​IMG]

Next steps are finding the water line and designing and building the frame and casement structures.

The Barham wasn't the only boat I pulled off the shelf. This is a Dumas Chris Craft Cobra mahogany runabout project that's been in storage for 20 years. Started the tedious gluing of the mahogany strips again. I'll never complain about cutting hull windows or sheeting ever again!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 19, 2015
  11. SteveT44

Didn't feel like floating the Barham to find the waterline so I thought I'd try the water fill method that I read about on Strikes webpage. This involves filling the uncut hull with a weight of water equal to shiplist displacement (minus the weight of the hull molding). Measuring from the top of the hull to the water gives you the approximate waterline.

The hull is taped so the sides don't spread out when the near 30 pounds of water is added.

[​IMG]

So how much does a pitcher weigh? In this case .864 pounds. This will be deducted from the weight measurements as I add the water.

[​IMG]

An advanced spreadsheet is used to track the water weight as it's added. It took four fills to get to the target weight.

[​IMG]

Hull filled

[​IMG]

I determine the waterline at shiplist displacement and +9%.

[​IMG]

Yes, the Moggy floats pretty! About as much open water as at the 2014 NATS.

[​IMG]

Who's anal enough to notice a 1/16" error from the drawings and then correct it? Me I guess.

[​IMG]

On the Chris Craft project, did I mention gluing mahogany strips tedious? Clamp setup for ONE strip.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 19, 2015
  12. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Steve, you know that scale has a Tare button for a reason... to save you having to subtract the pitcher weight ;)

13. irnuke

irnuke -->> C T D <<--

Yes, Steve....your Barham should get used to having water on the inside. Such is the fate of all Allied DN's. ;)

The Chris Craft...is that one of those "turtleback" runabouts like the 1930's type? They're gorgeous!

Tugboat likes this.
  14. SteveT44

It's a 50's Cobra. Hopefully it will look like this someday.

[​IMG]

15. irnuke

irnuke -->> C T D <<--

That's beautiful. But I prefer the prewar ones:[​IMG]

NickMyers and Tugboat like this.
  16. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Totally. Love the prewar style, I've seen plans for them floating around on the intarwebz...

17. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Very Nice.

18. Maxspin

Maxspin -->> C T D <<--

Hey that reminds me of our local pond :bang:

19. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

You missed the mud-hole battle during your time away.
    Smallest Ponds? | R/C Warship Combat
    Hovey's pond is spacious.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2017
  20. SteveT44

Installed frames last night. Now onto water channeling and running gear.
    [​IMG]