How Do Fastgun DDs Work?

Discussion in 'General' started by AdmiralBangerBang, Jan 15, 2018.

1. AdmiralBangerBang

AdmiralBangerBang Active Member

Since there are no torpedoes in fastgun, how do destroyers and other ships with torpedo armament work? Or are the only ships in fastgun battlewagons?

2. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

Fastgun arms a section of the primary gun battery. Since DDs had guns... You arm guns in accordance with units available and quadrant restrictions

3. AdmiralBangerBang

But then DDs are at a huge disadvantage, they have less buoyancy, and unlike Big Gun DDs, no additional firepower!

4. Beaver

Beaver 2020 Rookie of the Year Admiral (Supporter)

Correct. In fastgun, DD's get one gun with 25 to 50 bbs and a pump. Not a whole lot. Plus with their small size they are hard to build. I have a USS Johnston that I'm scratch building (build thread is here somewhere) and I still haven't finished due to complexity. This hobby is more oriented for larger ships like CA's and BB's. DD's can be fun but don't add a whole lot to the battle.

Anvil_x likes this.
  5. AdmiralBangerBang

Beaver, did I tell you that you have helped me an insane lot? Thank you!

Beaver likes this.
  6. AdmiralBangerBang

Same with you, Nick! You're both great people. This is probably my favorite forum. No hate, no spam, only kind advice, and well run threads. Nick, you're doing a great job. Keep it up!

Logan Gyre likes this.
  7. Beaver

No problem. Glad to help answer your questions and get you closer to getting on the water with a combat ship. We always need more targets. ;)

8. AdmiralBangerBang

Heh.... And I always need some more cocky captains to sink.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
  9. Beaver

:D Hope to see you at a battle soon then. I'm not afraid to mix it up with the best of them, but I do seem to be doing a lot of patching lately...:whistling:

rcaircraftnut likes this.
  10. AdmiralBangerBang

Since your from Penn, your not too far from me. Once I get a ship completed, and get some experience, I might try Nats. Who knows, I might see you!
    (Imagine! An eleven year old at Nats!)

11. AdmiralBangerBang

12. Beaver

Carl (@thegeek) will probably be having a battle or two at his place in Coxsackie. I usually try to attend one day. If you can make it, it would be a good chance to get a look at the hobby and maybe even participate with a loner ship.

13. AdmiralBangerBang

Well, since it's only a 2 and a half hour drive, I might try to convince my parents to drive me possibly on a long weekend. As for now, I'm trying to decide on a ship to build. My father agreed to help me build it once I decide it. I hope building a model of a warship satisfies my inner (and outer) Asian Geek. :D

14. Renodemona

Renodemona Well-Known Member

They are basically very small but fast cruisers in the hobby. I've built a couple destroyers and they are amusing, especially as a back up ship (or during campaign at Nats) but any actual cruiser has a great deal more utility and ease of building.

rcaircraftnut and Lou like this.
  15. Lou

Lou It's just toy boats -->> C T D <<-- Admiral (Supporter)

Destroyer is more a local boat with other destroyers, pick a cruiser for maximum fun. While it would make a great story to tell another captain "I dumped all my bb's into a ship's hull", when the other captain finds out it was 25 BB's the story is less impressive. With a cruiser, you get 100 bb's and a chance to hurt or sink a damaged ship.

16. Iunnrais

Iunnrais Active Member

They're not terribly effective boats in the grand scheme of fleet battle, but the giggle factor per shot is unsually high. DDs are quick and nimble so you can put those few BBs you have right where you want them with relative impunity and generally annoy your targets. If you are lucky, you'll get someone who just ignores you and lets you put many shots in the same area before they realize that you are actually hurting them. Mostly it's simply pap pap zoom. The trade off is that high seas and winds are not your friend and will usually contribute more to water ingress than actual battle damage. Also rams /really/ hurt and you're harder to find in deeper water.

17. AdmiralBangerBang

18. SteveT44

SteveT44 Well-Known Member

Since I run a DD occasionally I thought I'd add my two cents. In a fleet battle, as others have pointed out, they add practically nothing to your teams ability to sink ships so if that's your only goal, skip a DD. What a DD does do is place a big grin across your face. They are extremely fun to drive around (and through) a battle. It's hard to hit a DD if it's being driven well so a good captain can practically cruise the pond with impunity (as long as there's not to much moss to get stuck in). If you conserve your ammo, you can annoy the on-fivers that are waiting to get off the pond as the battle starts to wind down. In campaign battles, DD's (or any class 3 or below ship) can be reloaded continuously which is cool. DD's will cost you more to run though. They use disposable CO2 cartridges and that cost can add up (especially in a campaign battle).

19. Anvil_x

Anvil_x Well-Known Member

If I stay in AK, I'm planning on building a small squadron of Gearings to go along with my Texas. Hopefully I can use them to get people into the hobby enough to build their own boats. Plus, I'd like to see how a slow battlewagon can do when facing a pack of like four or five of them. There's probably a threshold at which the big brute would just be overwhelmed.

20. Bsquared

Bsquared Member

I could only imagine the cost involved and the sheer devastating power these things would have if every gun was able to be outfitted. Think of the Atlanta or similar ships that carried around multiple trim turrets. The Atlanta had I believe 6 primary and multiple secondaries.... OH SNAP!!!!