New Guy On Long Island

Discussion in 'Ship Comparison' started by AdmiralBangerBang, Jan 14, 2018.

1. AdmiralBangerBang

AdmiralBangerBang Active Member

Hey guys, I'm on Long Island, and I've been waiting to get into this hobby for a long time. Hopefully I can battle Big Gun or Battlestations, as they are my favorite formats, but IRCWCC is fine too, but I doubt there are any battlers near me. If any of you know of any clubs or battlers within a two hour drive of LI, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE TELL ME!!!! For my first ship, I want a good-looking, fast ship armed with torpedoes, like a light cruiser. Opinions?

2. AdmiralBangerBang

Hey guys, new kid from Long Island. I love naval combat to bits, and I spend an embarrassing amount of time reading about the World Wars, and especially the naval battles. I don't know if there are any clubs or battlers on Long Island, so if any of you know, Please Please tell me.
    Yes, I'm a stickler for grammer, punctuation, spelling, and capitalization.

3. pigeonfarmboy

pigeonfarmboy Well-Known Member

Welcome to the site. Saw your other threads and questions. Do whatever you can to attend a battle or meet with a captain that does battle. Being that this is a very niche hobby, you're going to have to drive to participate. It's either that or pull your friends into the fold as well. Don't forget the main goal here is to get a boat on the water. I think the saying goes "Don't let perfection get in the way of good enough."

rcaircraftnut and kgaigalas like this.
  4. AdmiralBangerBang

5. AdmiralBangerBang

I'm a noob when it comes to RC Warship Combat, but I'm interested in any subs you've built. I'm probably going to try building one after I get better at the hobby, but please share any build threads with me.

6. AdmiralBangerBang

I didn't know what section it should go in, so I'm going to put it in here too. Do any of you think that Open Design Warships is a possibility? I feel that innovation in our hobby is extremely limited, really, since the warship design in WW1 and WW2 aren't really that great. Imagine if we could design our own ships. There probably will be some rules on dimensions, but besides that, I feel that armament limitations is

7. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

Ive merged a few of your threads into this one, to reduce the spread a bit.

8. AdmiralBangerBang

Okay Nick! What do you think about my Open Design Warship combat idea?

9. Beaver

Beaver 2020 Rookie of the Year Admiral (Supporter)

Check out the Steampunk Flotilla idea. Kind of along the lines of what you're proposing.
    Steampunk Flotilla Rules

10. AdmiralBangerBang

Yeah Beaver, but I'm talking full on design freedom, not inspired by anything, but just whatever your noggin can come up with. Multihull super-battleships, unarmed corvettes with rams, whatever. Anything. In fact, if this gets off the ground I already have a multihull dreadnought design I want to build.

11. Beaver

The thing with that, unrestricted building, is you'll essentially be having an arms race. Similar to Great Britain and Germany before WW1. Everybody will be trying to build the biggest ship with the most guns to try and sink your ship. Without some kind of rules and regulation it will basically be a contest of who has the biggest budget to build the biggest behemoth.

rcaircraftnut likes this.
  12. AdmiralBangerBang

I agree that a size limitation is needed, like boats cannot be more than, say, eight feet long and five feet wide, as well as a maximum displacement, but I still want design ingenuity to be a factor. If you can fit fifty guns onto a ship that is in the size envelope and does not displace more than the maximum, it should be legal. And I don't want any Formula 1 type crap, where as soon as a brilliant innovation is made, It is banned. As long as your ship is within the rule envelope it is legal. Hydrofoils, extremely large cannons, whatever you can think of. Anyways, spread the word about this. I want to see how many people think this could work, and please spend some time thinking about this, and any feedback is extremely welcome. Thanks, Beaver!

13. Beaver

Just remember, it can be hard to find ponds that people will let us use for liability reasons. Pond owners will probably be even more leery of 8ft hydroplaning 50 gun behemoths skirting around their pond. It's something to think about.

14. AdmiralBangerBang

We'll cross that bridge when we get to it. And hey! Your using "Us" to describe us Open Designers! And I'm sure that Maker Faire will probably allow love this idea, since it'll draw more viewers than their typical Battle Pond. Also, this idea could make our hobby more popular. Think for a second. Lots of people are interested in the idea of RC ships battling, but some people get turned off the second they hear "From the World Wars" History is just not interesting for some people. (Utter blasphemy, I know) But crazy, as you said hydroplaning 50 gun behemoths will turn on teens and twenty year olds. This is something that we should ALL look into, and this is something that could possibly draw our hobby out from our niche into the world. (okay maybe not)

15. AdmiralBangerBang

Imagine going to a pond and seeing these race across the pond, pouring bb fire into each other.
    [​IMG]
    Wouldn't that be awesome?

16. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

No, he's using us in the sense of current "us" battling types. It can be really hard to find a suitable pond AND get permission from the landowner to use it. It would be easier if we didn't have guns. Making ships bigger, faster and slinging more shot around will not help that.

rcaircraftnut and Beaver like this.
  17. SteveT44

SteveT44 Well-Known Member

This is what my Atlanta is going to look like on an attack run! ;)

18. thegeek

thegeek Well-Known Member

Just before it turns turtle?

rcaircraftnut likes this.
  19. thegeek

thegeek Well-Known Member

Thank you Nick, it's hard enough now getting a owner to let us use his pond. Things like lead or stainless steel shot, those little metallic balls don't go away, until something eats it, are not allowed in my pond. I will be strict on that issue.

20. AdmiralBangerBang

Yeah, but these ships do not necessarily have to be insanely large. You could strap foils and possibly a RC Airplane EDF jet onto a Balty and run it. As for massive super-battleship sized vessels, they could be limited to bio bbs, like the ones used in Airsoft. The larger vessels will have enough firepower that using bio bbs could work. As they said "Throw enough shit at the wall, and somethings gonna stick."