Discussion in 'SMS Deutschland Kit Related' started by GregMcFadden, Oct 13, 2021.
8 pounds even, sans sheeting, cannons, and a bit o wiring. Everything else is in there.
Very nice. Still prototyping, or will these be available for printing soon?
Soon... I still need to go back and remove some of the "stuff" I tried from the hull. I figure people can sort out their own supports. I finally just started using tree supports with great success. super is 10oz right now... bout an ounce of support plastic I forgot to remove before I acetoned it.... so it is a bit heavier than it could be... For you, I'd be happy to start floating around test print parts. it is a bit tricky to make it work for everyone, I have taken advantage of my large printer print size on occasion.
75 round bow gun assembly barely fits.
Well, time to clean up wires add armor and sheet. Everything works so far
Loving the rainbow dazzle pattern :-D
Well, you get what is in the printer, and the girls have been choosing the colors
Sans sheeting & armor, 8.8 pounds
https://rcwarshipcombat.com/resources/sms-deutschland-full-ship.199/ beta files for the ship.
As part of my cleanup in preparation for test I stumbled across some vintage copperheads from back when they were actually round in the early 90s
Those were the days.
Need help. How do you work with this file to get the parts to print. I have solidworks but just learning how to use.
you have to export parts of it to stl. it is set up specifically so you can merge/split up the parts as necessary. you can select one component in SW and when you export an stl, select only selected bodies in the popup box
Thanks Greg, I have figured it out. Solidworks is something, lots to learn.
Greg, what percentage of infill did you use?
I used progressively decreasing in fill so for the first millimeter under a top surface it was 75% by the time you're a couple millimeters down it was about 15%
And now for insane experiments with sheeting.... Hot melt glue bead laid down on hull, then monokote iron is used to iron on balsa. Seems to work well. I have some spray on heat sensitive adhesive to test for silkspan also, but that will be tested on scrap to check for penetrability...
Thats a pretty awesome idea! Imma have to try that when I resheet Derf
so... https://www.walmart.com/ip/SpraynBond-by-HeatnBond-Fusible-Spray-Adhesive-6-9-oz/331253634 appears to work well. I have now applied silkspan via Iron on approach as well as patches. wood is still nice and flexible (more flexible than wood with silkspan and dope actually) and holes punch rather similarly. there is a bit of an art making sure you have the correct amount of adhesive on the silkspan, but it is obvious if there isn't enough once you get used to it. soaked some in water, can't get the silkspan to pull off yet.
That's a work of art! Beautiful