Looking For Laser cut wood hull kit or wood hull.

Discussion in 'Buy, Sell and Trade' started by -mK.._, Jul 19, 2022.

1. Commodore

Commodore Well-Known Member

Oh, I don't know ... do you know anyone out there who wants to sign up to making a 3d printed almost ready to float Von der Tann, Invincible, South Carolina, Kawachi, and Courbet?

Or maybe just make one hull that's close enough and call it good?

(I know I won't be volunteering for all that work, but if other people really want to, well, that's their problem)

2. Lord Haw Haw

Lord Haw Haw Member

@mK.., Conqratz on the Verite. Very nice french hotel :p

3. Lord Haw Haw

Lord Haw Haw Member

P3d and fiberglass hulls is the present, and wood hulls are the past. But please no fake generic ships.

4. Commodore

As you insist, but who's going to 3D print the scale, basic ship and market it for beginners, then?

Tugboat likes this.
  5. Lord Haw Haw

Lord Haw Haw Member

If they do make a generic ship,
    they should name it the Commodore Class. After you Sir. :)
    (For volunteering to lead the work effort)

Xanthar likes this.
  6. Panzer

Panzer Iron Dog Shipwerks and CiderHaus

Just curious, What was the last battle you attended with what ship? Commadore needs no validation of his bonafides nor does Greg, or Darkappollo who has shown up with a complete running derf he designed and printed and assembled Etc... This past Nats (2022) had more wooden hulls than printed hulls in attendance.... Come play with us on the water before you decide what is best on the water.... By the way, its my Verite Kit from Mark Jenks that I am letting MK get because I have a tendancy to Horde Boat Hulls and related parts...... Hello Everyone I am Craig and im a boataholic..... Love you guys and hope to see you on the water.

7. Lord Haw Haw

Lord Haw Haw Member

Maybe you should read my posts again, I am not attacking Commodore or Greg. I am expressing an opinion.
    To answer your question
    That would be a 2003-4 regionals in Maryland. Derfflinger built by Tim Filemyr. Just returned to the hobby. I asked in private about wood hulls and kits and was told no more. Because a well known member made a plug and sold it. And this community sided with that well know member, against those that build the hulls and kits and that's why wood kits and hulls are the past.

8. Panzer

Panzer Iron Dog Shipwerks and CiderHaus

Thanks for the explanation, Welcome back to the hobby, hope you and all the well known un-named people decide to show up at battles so we all can learn from you. Hope to see you on the water.

Lord Haw Haw likes this.
  9. Lord Haw Haw

Lord Haw Haw Member

You won't learn anything from me on the water, its just run and gun. But at the club on the dance floor. I can teach some dance moves. :)

Panzer likes this.
  10. Kevin P.

Kevin P. Well-Known Member

Will has a printed VDT modeled up, also Suffren that actually battled (gasp), I've contemplated doing an Invincible at some point, but given my current work my desire to spend my hobby time behind the computer is pretty low

11. Xanthar

Xanthar Well-Known Member

That's an interesting list. I just left a party where I was talking to a former battler who lives near me. He was telling me how he started with a Swamp works I-Boat and loved it. That was on my short list before I bought an Edgar Quinet and an Iron Duke. I think I've got a plan sheet for it in my stash. That seems easier than the VDT.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2022
  12. Commodore

Hey, all, no offense taken, and I understand the feeling. I would prefer to keep things "scale" myself, but at the same time, I hate dealing with things like casemates, etc. and if I were a beginner, I just wouldn't want to deal with that noise.

On the one hand, we have people who think everyone should have a Prinz Eugen or something, and on the other hand, you have lots of people clamoring for a Java.

Why? Well, a simple look at the stats would show why. It's certainly not because it's a "pretty" boat.

So, why can't we have a Java with a replaceable bow and alternate superstructures? Maybe a version with one twin turret in the front and two in the back to make things more handy?

I dunno, just thought I'd put the question out there. Not going to insist on it, it's just a thought that's been bouncing around in my brain for years.

Meanwhile, time to check on the printer can call it a night ... printing a birthday present for Mr. Whitsell, and I hope it turns out well.

13. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

A famous model builder once said that "it is not the function of the model-maker to reproduce exactly the great ship on a small scale. It is for him rather to suggest it." I consider defining features and operations to be far more important than getting every frame and rivet mathematically perfect. When I build a ship from scratch, I routinely simplify the hull for ease of construction. Complex hull bulges are straightened out for ease of sheeting, details get drawn in sharpie, and superstructure parts that aren't visible from 10 feet away are eliminated. I've been working a LOT on how to sheet casemates, but I still think the tiny amount of impenetrable is worth the headache. My next casemated warship will have them drawn on.

There has to be a limit, though. Simplifying a structure is one thing, but we are ultimately basing our ships on history. I have no problem with straightening out torpedo bulges and armor belts, but imagine mirroring the cross-deck guns on the VDT. Is that going too far?

14. Xanthar

Panzer likes this.
  15. Lord Haw Haw

Lord Haw Haw Member

INVINCIBLE, INFLEXIBLE, INDOMITABLE!! Three hallowed words.
    Freecad you say, conjuring something from nothing is scocery sir. I will pray to the warship gods to keep you safe and see you thru to the end. :)

Last edited: Aug 8, 2022
    Panzer likes this.
  16. GregMcFadden

GregMcFadden Facilitator RCWC Staff

As everyone is getting quite excited, I figured I would toss another little carrot out there.... provided that I was convinced that the project would reasonably be seen to completion, I do have the solid model of the french battleship Provence (that I used to design up my wood kit) that I would be ok with open sourcing for the purpose of creating an open source 3d printed hull... She is a really nice boat, good size, good turning, similar to Courbet but no wing turrets. I really do need to dig into my various models I've built over the years, they are doing me no good sitting unused on a hard drive....

Xanthar likes this.
  17. darkapollo

darkapollo Well-Known Member

Dang it Greg…
    Now I’m going to have to contribute.
    I can release my Derfflinger files as well. It is a straight sided, no casemates German WW1 hull shape that they used for almost every boat they put on the water in either 3 or 4 prop form.

Panzer and Xanthar like this.
  18. Xanthar

It took a while but, I've got both a 3D printed prototype and some 2D files for an I-Boat Hull in 1/144th scale.

19. Lord Haw Haw

Lord Haw Haw Member

Sir,
    The warship gods are most pleased. Your skill and magic are strong. Thank you for all that you do. ❤️

Xanthar likes this.