Looking for additional info on Settsu class Japanese Dreadnought

Discussion in 'Ship Plans' started by djranier, Aug 17, 2018.

1. djranier

djranier Well-Known Member

I plan on making the Settsu, but before I start, I trying to figure out how many Shafts, and rudders it had? I have found some sites, and I have found multiple reference material. I have found that the Japanese copied the Nassau German class of ships for the gun layout, but nothing about the propulsion configuration.

I have not found any source that supports the opposite configuration. Gerald did give me one source from 1912, a single sentence in a technical manual, that said it had 3 geared turbines, nothing on rudder, or rudders.

I'm asking if anyone else has any sources that show the information I'm looking for. Clark, has something that says it has 2 shafts, and one rudder. He did not say what source his information came from that he had.

The IRC ship-list does not list the number of shafts, it's blank, and it lists 1/2 for rudders, so it's not sure of the rudder either.

Gerald's info. It says the Settsu class had 3 turbines. For whatever reason, cannot get it to go to a readable size. The area he highlighted in yellow is the sentence discussing the Kawachi.

International Marine Article.jpg

3/2 configuration.

Settsu shipbucket.png

What I have found showing 2/1 configuration

Settsu Rudder.jpg

http://www.navypedia.org/ships/japan/jap_bb_settsu.htm

This site shows Settsu had 2 shafts.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_battleship_Settsu

This site shows Settsu had 2 shafts, and 2 geared turbines.

https://www.globalsecurity.org/military/world/japan/settsu-bb-specs.htm

Ship had 2 shaft turbines.

http://www.wikiwand.com/en/Japanese_battleship_Kawachi

Ship had 2 shafts, 2 steam turbines.

Book of plans, with 115 pages of plans

PS Japan Navy_1.jpg

Drawing of the stern, the hull shape does not support 3 sets of shafts, and it shows 1 rudder.

PS Japan Navy_4.jpg

Another book I have which says it has 2 sets of turbines, with 2 shafts.

jap battleships 1897_1945.jpg

Info

jap battleships 2 shafts 1897_1945.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
  2. wfirebaugh

wfirebaugh Well-Known Member

3. SteveT44

SteveT44 Well-Known Member

WOW Kawachi model shows two shafts.

upload_2018-8-18_13-20-31.png

4. djranier

Nope, would have been nice if you had it, I think I have one of the 5, but cant remember where I put it. Been looking, was still sealed.

I have seen that Steve, but I don't think the Eboard will take it as a reference source, lol. It does look very accurate, even has the skeg in front of the rudder.

I was hoping it would be a 3/2, but everything points to the WOW 2/1 configuration. Will still be a nice boat, but with a center shaft just that much better.

5. djranier

Well I found my #1 volume, forgot my daughter had it. Shes looking on the Japanese sites to see if she can find the other volumes I'm missing.

It does not appear to be the same as what you have. My first box, volume one, has 27 different ships in it.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2018
    wfirebaugh likes this.
  6. SteveT44

SteveT44 Well-Known Member

I think the WOW models are probably was well researched as possible (the ones based on actual ships that is). My bet is that these 3D models will become canon in the years to come.

7. djranier

And they never took off the torpedo booms and netting till it was decommissioned. More hard area?

8. PreDread

PreDread Active Member

I'd love to know where you found that book of plans.... still have many holes in my early Japanese Warship wish list....

9. Mark41

Mark41 Active Member

This is how I built my IJN Kawachi.
    2 props, single rudder DSC05083.JPG 2009-04-07 21.23.17.jpg 2009-04-07 21.23.17.jpg DSC05083.JPG

10. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

Conway's 1906 lists Settsu as 2 shafts. If the breadth and consistency of information presented here isn't enough, I don't know what is.

11. Renodemona

Renodemona Well-Known Member

2 Shafts, 1 rudder. It is possible that Settsu had 2 rudders as designed but there is a lot more evidence that both were completed with single rudders as an expedience. Their machinery was based on the second Satsuma class ship (Aki) using similar license built Curtis turbines which had performed extremely well in Aki. If you want to be super rivet counter the main armor belt does extend all the way to the bow but that far forward its pretty insignificant. I didn't put the stringer in that far forward on mine. I think Gerald did, so could go either way with it. A very interesting ship historically with some weirdness (different caliber main guns, long service life as a radio control target). I did not enjoy battling it and sold it to a guy in California who still battles it somewhat frequently.

12. djranier

My Daughter found the book on a Japanese website, handy to have a Daughter that speaks, and reads Japanese. I found one on Amazon a few months back, notified Gerald about it, and he got it.