looking into the hobby

Discussion in 'Great Lakes Attack Squadron (GLAS)' started by wdodge0912, Mar 31, 2018.

1. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

How hard to make a glass hull depends a lot on whether you want to make 1 or more. But the first problem is you have to make the hullform. From there if you're making a one-off, you just glass the outside and knock out the inside forms and apply additional layers to strengthen. If you want to make multiple, you take your master and create a mold, from which you lay up and pull individual hulls. There are some threads showing both processes around here, look at @Kevin P. 's https://rcwarshipcombat.com/threads/make-class-1-great-again.445406/ Tromp thread. He makes it look easy to make a master plug, mold and then hulls, but its a fair amount of work.

2. kgaigalas

kgaigalas Well-Known Member

If you like the Des Moines,
    The Graf Spee/Deutschland class has the same set-up. (if you are looking for a build thread)
    Also Mark in Detroit has a Graf Spee
    I have triples on my Washington and can assist with your build (like a Des Moines)
    First thing is BRING A HULL
    Kas

Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
  3. wdodge0912

wdodge0912 Well-Known Member

I'd only do one. I guess it comes down to what ship I decide to go with. going with something readily available might be better in the sense that I would have a huge step done and be more likely able to finish it.

would it be cheaper to go with a pre made hull or make a one off?

and do I even need to use fiberglass? could I make the whole hull out of wood?

4. Kevin P.

Kevin P. Well-Known Member

There are a lot of ways you CAN make a ship...but for a first boat just stick with a fiberglass hull from BC or strike. Your chances of finishing the build are way higher. Middle turrets are relatively useless compared to turrets at the bow or stern. Check out some videos on YouTube to see them in action. Why don’t you want a ship with triple turrets? You know that you don’t arm all of the barrels, right?

5. wdodge0912

well then, Des Moines or Maryland then

I just didn't want so many dummy guns in one turret, and I kinda like the older 2 gun look. I guess the Maryland would have the least amount of them, 1 rear turret and 1 in each of the front turrets.

I was thinking the middle gun would be good if aimed forward on one side, but I take it most side guns are just 90 degrees out from the ship?

and that's what I was thinking with buying a hull. I already have it and it's taking up room, I'm not going to not build it at that point.

I would look at what strike has, but with them closing and I'm just now getting into this, I don't want to plan to buy one from them and they not have it when I'm ready, and then have to decide and find something else somewhere else

6. wdodge0912

for the maryland, what would I get with the the hull kit and deck kit? other than electronics and cannons, and the rudder, what would I need? I'd also probably end up picking up the hardware kit as well.

7. kgaigalas

kgaigalas Well-Known Member

Here is an example ,
    I want to get into tank battle could we make them burst into flames that would make it MORE realistic. :bang::bang::bang::bang::crying::crying:
    I guess someone would say OK build one and then burn it up:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
    What I like about this hobby, we do sink like real life ships, then we play again:)

rcaircraftnut likes this.
  8. aleMI

aleMI Active Member

Echoing what others have said, I highly recommend buying a fiberglass hull as a first ship.

Hull kit and deck kit would give you the hull, turret covers, wooden deck, and also turret barbettes. You will need a hardware kit w/ the ESC option, cannon kit, pump kit, firing boards (for the cannons), and pump switch for the pump. A CO2 tank and tank regulator is also needed to store the gas needed for the guns to go PEW. All these you can get from battlersconnection.

A radio system (transmitter and receiever) can be picked up for cheap from hobbyking (see my previous post). Good recommended Batteries have been recommended by others above.

Construction materials include silkspan, balsa wood for covering the hull (Also available from BC.) Minimum tools needed include dremel, drill, saw, sand paper (I recommend a belt sander). Clamps are also helpful for holding the decks in place during installation. I might be forgetting some other needed tools, been awhile since I worked on my California.

Superstructure can be fabricated using foam blocks and balsa wood. The hull kit comes with scaled plans to help you with this part.

EDIT: Forgot to mention a soldering iron will also be needed if you don't have that already. Just don't buy a $3 one like I did. I really did get what I paid for...

9. wdodge0912

so to get it looking like a ship, I would still need to build the superstructure, as well as getting the deck and hull kit. and also the sides and ribs?

just to get something that looks like the ship and would float.

I think at that point would be a good goal to get to before getting equipment, mot that it would be easy to install, but that way I can figure it all out.

10. aleMI

aleMI Active Member

Building superstructure can be a last step. More important to start on the internals first. 1st step is to cut windows into the hull. The fiberglass skeleton will be your "ribs." On bigger ships like the Maryland, strips of balsa can used to augment the fiberglass ribs. It's an easy part to do. The hardware part (shafts, rudder, and motor mounting) usually come next in the build step. Some builders spread their purchases over a period of time, for example you can buy the hull, deck, and hardware, and work with those first, then purchase more components like cannons further down the build.

kgaigalas likes this.
  11. wdodge0912

there is a group of people who make 1/6 scale tanks and use paintball cannons. I was actually looking into that a while ago, but it seems not a whole lot of people do it near michigan. I think Maryland is the nearest state with players, and I'm not him a drive down there every time I wanna battle :p

12. wdodge0912

so the fiberglass hull is actual a full hull and I only need to cut windows into it. I thought the fiberglass was just the front and end and bottom, and the entire sided had to be thin balsa, and ribs needed to be added to hold it all together.

also, what actually is a turret barbette?

13. aleMI

aleMI Active Member

Correct. See KevinP's linked build to see what a cut hull looks like. The thin balsa is glued on the outside of the fiberglass hull on top of the fiberglass "ribs." The fiberglass ribs are often reinforced in strength by balsa stips on the inside.

Turret barbette is the cylindrical housing that the turrets sit on. In this hobby they're usually cut cylinders from pvc piping or some other material.

14. wdodge0912

that makes a whole lot more sense. i haven't had much time to look through builds too good, so I didn't see that.

15. jackpkt

jackpkt Member

I did indeed. Welcome sorry for being late to the welcome party. Our GLAS group is getting to be large and we have some great resources that could help you out as needed. There are a few of us in the Detroit area, if you're int he area we could help. If you need anything reach out. It you decide to come to the battle in May let us know and maybe one of us could bring a loaner boat that you could use, no promises but we have done it for others in the past. Like how I just volunteered our membership. :)
    Anyway, best of luck
    Jack

wdodge0912 and kgaigalas like this.
  16. Beaver

Beaver 2020 Rookie of the Year Admiral (Supporter)

But whyeee? o_O

17. wdodge0912

well if you get it built before I start on something, I'll have to check it out first hand for sure.

the hull kit for the Maryland is actually $5 cheaper. but then I have the cost of more guns later, not that it's a bad thing though.

18. rcaircraftnut

rcaircraftnut Well-Known Member

Cost is like a revolving door. There is ALWAYS something you just have to buy.

19. Beaver

Beaver 2020 Rookie of the Year Admiral (Supporter)

Hey, it's not always. No need to scare the new guy when it's really only 99% of the time...;)

kgaigalas and rcaircraftnut like this.
  20. Lou

Lou It's just toy boats -->> C T D <<-- Admiral (Supporter)

wet blanket time... Decide what you want from the hobby, something had to drive you to this site. Battling? Sinking? Super cool looking ships that you will be afraid of getting blown up? Making new friends and rarely getting on the water? Yelling at beaver?
    If you want to battle, find out who is near you and go to a battle. Chances are they will give you some stick time as well (bonus!).
    Like anything else, hobbies cost money. Figure out what won't break the bank and build to that standard. Please also consider that you will more than likely travel to battle, so include the cost of transport/lodging/meals for weekend battles.
    We want you to succeed as more boats actually means more fun for all (except Kevin, he's a real #%^$%&!) :)

Kevin P. and rcaircraftnut like this.