New Mexico Class BB

Discussion in 'Ship Plans' started by Anvil_x, Aug 4, 2018.

1. Anvil_x

Anvil_x Well-Known Member

Howdy,

Before I go and grab a set of plans from Profile Morskie, I wanted to double-check that there weren't any good sets of free plans available.

I found what appears to be a suitable set that @WillCover posted up last year, (link: https://rcwarshipcombat.com/threads/us-standard-type-battleships.441493/#post-513971 )

But am not really sure how to make sure they are at precisely the right scale when having them printed. I'd also imagine doing the superstructure from this set would be a pain.

either way, totally fine with buying the plans, especially since they've the oddball 1945 Idaho sets I've been looking for. just wanted to double-check

2. buttsakauf

buttsakauf Well-Known Member

Print them high resolution at a reasonable size. Then figure out what the difference is between their current printed length and the appropriate length. The overall length of a New Mexico class is 624’ or so. That is 52” in our scale. If you get it printed and it is 34” long. Then do a multiplication factor to get it up to size. In this case, 52/34= 1.529. So enlarge your 34” long drawing by 152.9%. Ta da! The reason I choose a large dimension on the ship is that it is easier to measure and scale accurately.

A lot of large format printers do not scale up super precisely. A good way to have this done is also to find a print shop to do this and tell them the size you need and let them get it right. If it isn’t right you don’t have to pay for their mistakes.

3. Anvil_x

cool stuff. I'll hit the printers up soon. I hope the place around the corner from my house can do the job.

4. Bob Pottle

Bob Pottle Well-Known Member

I've got 2 plan sets from Profile Morskie. Both were right on for 1/144 scale loa and beam.

The down side is waiting 7+ weeks to receive them.

5. Anvil_x

you got the paper copies?

6. Bob Pottle

Bob Pottle Well-Known Member

Yeah, it's a little cheaper to pay the extra cost for paper plans than to take a pdf to the local printing companies.

7. Anvil_x

Alrighty then. BTW, Strike does have a copy of New Mexico Plans available. I don't know if they're pre-refit/bulge/whatever. But since I am going to build an Idaho, it's a bit moot for me because the secondaries are pretty drastically different

8. Anvil_x

Just ordered the Idaho plans from Profile Morskie. It should be interesting to see how long it takes for them to get here, since their turnaround is 14 days, and there is no shortage of horror stories on the forum.

so as I was looking through Profile Morskie, I noticed that their plans are all WWII era. is there anyone who has similar work for other eras? it'd be neat to have a stock configuration Idaho to go with the 1945 version.

9. Anvil_x

I contacted Profile Morskie on thursday about my plans, and according to them, the plans should have arrived last week. so they are sending a second set of plans, and gave me a digital copy for the trouble. I'm hoping they'll arrive sometime soon, so I can start doing layout once Texas is off the blocks and ready.

10. Anvil_x

The Paper plans just arrived. they are excellent. Profile Morskie's Idaho plans are worth the wait. I have the PDF copy and will make an additional print as a working spare.

now that I have a full copy of the plans, I can see her side by side with my Texas.... she's going to be a monster. and it looks like there will be ample room in the Barbettes for a triple gun system, which is exactly why I wanted it in the first place.