Rib layout for a warship

Discussion in 'Ship Plans' started by Morgen Anthony, Mar 20, 2018.

1. Morgen Anthony

Morgen Anthony Member

Hey guys I need the rib layout for any type of battle ship cause I’m having trouble making the hulls of my ships

2. bsgkid117

bsgkid117 Vendor

Morgen, you've been all over the place trying to either find a ship to buy or find plans for a ship. I think you need to decide on what you want to do, and then we can help you better. Let's keep the discussion in this thread maybe, so its easier to talk back and forth. What type of ship are you interested in building? A specific ship you had in mind? Are you looking to battle said ship, if so, are there any battling clubs in your area so we know what rule set to help guide you towards while your build your ship? The different rules sets all have their own slightly different construction rules that will change how you build. If you are looking to just build a ship for fun/show/RC at the lake and not battle, then we don't need to worry about that. What is your skill level? Have you ever built anything out of wood before, any scratchbuilding experience with models, any modeling experience at all with plastic kits, wargames, etc?

Let's answer these questions then I will try to help you the best I can, but let's try and keep it contained to one thread here on the forum for now.

3. Morgen Anthony

Morgen Anthony Member

Alright let start with I have never battled with my own ship before only my friends I am very fond of heavy cruisers and dread naughts I play world of warships I have built model sailboats before i like British warships and American ww1 ships

i have a custom model tiger 1 and that is The onlyRC vehicle that I have

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2018
  4. bsgkid117

bsgkid117 Vendor

Ok cool, you have some RC experience and some modeling experience. You are fond of Heavy Cruisers and WW1 era dreadnought designs. That we can totally work with.

Are you looking to build a hull yourself from scratch, using plywood and saw, or are you looking to build a fiberglass hull? The wooden hull takes a bit longer and is more work, but it is generally cheaper. Personally I enjoy working with the wooden hull but that is up to you. Have you checked out the great threads here on the forum that are guides to building wooden hulls?

Mike's Bearn CV thread: https://rcwarshipcombat.com/threads/on-the-ways-bearn-cv.407920/

Tugboat's Edgar Quinet thread: https://rcwarshipcombat.com/threads/sb-101-building-mn-edgar-quinet.441667/page-4

If you are interested in the wooden hull build, then you will need plans for a ship. If you are looking for something easy and manageable for a newbie, I wholeheartedly recommend Tugboat's Edgar Quinet thread as a great starter into the hobby. Building the EQ and outfitting it's internals (motors, radio, guns, etc) should cost less than $400 which is a big investment but stretched out over the time it would take you to build wouldn't be much more than $30-40 a month. If you are looking for a fiberglass hull, Strikemodels still has a few in stock and Battlersconnection sells them.

If you are interested in the wooden hull but not necessarily the Edgar Quinet, I have most French ship plans including the dreadnought battleships Courbet and Bretagne, which are also featured in World of Warships. Though their hulls are of a slightly more complex shape with casements and stringers that might be a bit of a challenge on a first hull build.

Since you also mentioned Heavy Cruisers, Strikemodels sells the wonderful RCENGR's Baltimore class heavy cruiser wooden hull kit. Shown here at this link http://www.strikemodels.com/products/ships/ they are at the bottom of the page. For $90 the Baltimore hull would be a great start to the hobby as well.

So, do you have any specific ships in mind?

5. Morgen Anthony

Morgen Anthony Member

Uss indianapolis and hms Exeter I know Exeter is on strike but I would rather build them from scratch

Do you have plans for dunqurke no idea how to spell it

6. bsgkid117

bsgkid117 Vendor

The plans for Dunkerque are here on this site under the "Resources section" you'll find a "Free Ship Plans" area. Dunkerque has been a relatively easy build, but I will warn you she's not the most competitive battling ship. As a newbie you could find yourself on the bottom of the lake a lot more than might be fun. This is the free plans area: https://rcwarshipcombat.com/FreeWarshipPlans/ be warned not all are properly scaled to 1:144th scale, that will be up to you to double check. You can use the IRCWCC shiplist as a quick reference to the model's allowed length/width to make sure you get your scaling right.

In the Free Plans section there are plans for the French cruiser Suffren, of which @Beaver did a wonderful build of for his first ship. You should check out his build here: https://rcwarshipcombat.com/threads/suffren-build.443108/

Unfortunately I don't have a source for Portland class cruiser plans or York-class. But you can find them online for sale if you look hard enough. Here is a .pdf download for Exeter from Profile Morskie but you would have to pay for them. https://blueprintsofwarships.com.pl/144_PDF.htm#hc

7. Morgen Anthony

Morgen Anthony Member

Yeah I know that website I bought some plans for a seaplane tender a couple of weeks ago thx for the help I really appreciate it

8. Morgen Anthony

Morgen Anthony Member

If I were to make a warship for battling what warships would you suggest I would like to make a Bismarck but that might be a little bit to hard

9. bsgkid117

bsgkid117 Vendor

For battling purposes, it being your first ship, anything over a class 5 in my opinion is far too large/complicated for a rookie ship. If you are looking for something small, fast, that will zip in and out of the fight then a heavy cruiser like Baltimore or Suffren would be perfect. If you are looking for something slower, more "slug it out" style rubbing sides with the enemy while hitting them with side-mounted guns, then something like SMS Von Der Tann or HMS Invincible would be ideal. In my opinion, for a rookie, a boat like Suffren is a great introduction to the hobby. At 12lb scale weight its not terribly difficult to build, and with 2 guns and 1 pump the internals are relatively simple.

The Bismarck is one of the larger Axis boats, at 6.5 units you are talking about 5 guns and a pump, a lot of expensive internal parts to get set up on your first build. Plus the complexity of all of those systems, in a boat that is over five and a half feet long, makes for a really poor rookie boat.

What are you thinking about in terms of battling style? Cruisers can only have front/rear mounted guns due to how tippy they are, so they are the quick hit and run style ships. Dreadnought type battleships are slower and lower in the water, so they are generally your slug it out style ships. Which one sounds more interesting to you? And what are you expecting to spend, $ wise, on this project? That will ultimately dictate your actions.

10. Morgen Anthony

Morgen Anthony Member

I want a cheap warship I would prefer to slug it out in a battle ship but it would most likely be more expensive

Do you happen to have any pics of suffren or invincible

11. Morgen Anthony

Morgen Anthony Member

I’m interested in getting the Des Moines hull kit from battlers connection

bsgkid117 likes this.
  12. bsgkid117

bsgkid117 Vendor

This is the Suffren:
    [​IMG]

In model form:

13335939_10207003529350150_8013492714464802041_n.jpg

HMS Invincible, also known as an "I-Boat" due to her and her sister ships all having first letter I names.

[​IMG]

13. Morgen Anthony

Morgen Anthony Member

I like invincible

14. bsgkid117

bsgkid117 Vendor

The Des Moines is a great cruiser, probably one of the best. The Des Moines kit from BC is a solid start to the hobby. Triple stern setup and a half unit pump makes for a very dangerous cruiser, but like all cruisers they are a bit fragile and should use their speed and agility to get their powerful stern gun setup on target.

15. Morgen Anthony

Morgen Anthony Member

Suffren seems easy

It around 287 $ to get a hull kit and the motors and stuff

What is the ship in ur profile pic

16. bsgkid117

bsgkid117 Vendor

17. Morgen Anthony

Morgen Anthony Member

Ok thx but do you know what come in the des moines hardware kit

18. bsgkid117

bsgkid117 Vendor

I do not, but the guys at Battler's Connection are extremely helpful. Give them a call or shoot them an email and they can tell you more about their product than I could. Charley is a great guy.

rcaircraftnut likes this.
  19. Morgen Anthony

Morgen Anthony Member

Ok thx you have been a lot of help love to talk to you again

bsgkid117 likes this.
  20. bsgkid117

bsgkid117 Vendor

I am glad I could help. I hope to see you on the pond sometime! Good luck, let us know what you end up doing and if you get a ship and start building it make sure to take lots of pics and start a build thread over in the Warship Builds section of the forum.