sheeting torpedo blisters

Discussion in 'Construction' started by jimmybeekeeper, Jan 23, 2015.

1. jimmybeekeeper

jimmybeekeeper Active Member

hms-valiant-1942-battleship.png can you sheet blisters like this?

Last edited: Jan 23, 2015
  2. Maxspin

Maxspin -->> C T D <<--

Jimmy,
    Nick gave you build links in your Queen Elisabeth post. Go read them. Tugboat did a fabulous job of showing you how it is done in his Malaya build.

3. jch72

jch72 Active Member

Greensboro, North Carolina, United States
    Sure, I overlap the balsa on top of the stringer and get a pretty good looking torpedo blister on my Nagato, it just takes some time. Unfortunately battle quickly wrecks the appearance. Also you need to really think ahead about this type of overlapping sheeting before you cut into the hull or it is really easy to mistakenly put the stringer on the wrong side.

4. jimmybeekeeper

how do you make those compound curves at the ends

5. absolutek

absolutek -->> C T D <<--

Smaller sheets of balsa custom cut to fit

6. jch72

jch72 Active Member

Greensboro, North Carolina, United States
    I cut the 1/8 inch stringer to the shape of the curve on the inside of the end bulges, then sheet with balsa from the top deck down overlapping the stringer, trim off the edge flush with the stringer, then sheet from the bottom up overlapping the stringer again. and trimming to the shape of the end bulge. So on top of the stringer you end up with two layers of balsa.

7. jimmybeekeeper

i see cool thx

8. jimmybeekeeper

when i was reading the malaya thread i got a bit off course reading about the stringer debate and i thought he said his wasnt blistered!
    but i will go back and re read it

9. absolutek

It does have the torpedo bulges, I delivered the hull to him.

10. jimmybeekeeper

yes i saw them more clearly just now.
    it looks a bit different in the picture i posted im sure because the angle is different.

absolutek did you make that hull or just deliver it?

11. absolutek

I just delivered it, Ralph Coles made the hull.

12. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

Here is the thread with pics from the plug used to make the mold those hulls came from
    New Battleship Hull from Ralph! | R/C Warship Combat
    You can clearly see the bulges here which helps visualize hwo to sheet them. I'm told the plug is very accurate to the ship, but I'm not an expert on Targets :)
    Most folk it seem have managed to weigh the QE down to heavy weight and get the lower bulge below the 1inch from waterline point and therefore don't have to deal with the transition and sheeting of that one.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2017
  13. jimmybeekeeper

that is a much clearer image than the one in tugs post and i was wondering from looking at tugs about the lower blister it seemed from looking at the ship it would be penetrable but in the pics of the plug i understand now thx nick still doesnt look like much fun to sheet

14. jimmybeekeeper

so tell me nick what do you like about the derfflinger i dont see much talk about them

15. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

It suits my style well.
    I'm fairly aggressive but I don't like to sit next to folk very much.
    She's reasonably maneuverable thanks to its rudder getting the 50% bonus (technically a dual rudder ship, there are several threads discussing rudder bonuses and if they're fair if thats a topic you want to learn about). She's a 24second ship, so as fast or faster than anything that can actually make me nervous.
    She has 4.5 units and I run her with 4 guns and a half unit pump. It means I can't take much damage and puts an emphasis on knowing when to strike and when to run for it. I enjoy the mental game of cat and mouse almost as much as I enjoy putting holes in @Maxspin. Incidentally, the half unit pump is a crippling problem in smaller battles or smaller ponds where I can't really run or I have no choice but to pull up and fight. In a larger pond with enough ships I get to play 'super cruiser' - swoop in next to a target of opportunity, pound away and turn tail and run.
    By running 4 guns I get a nasty dual stern gun arrangement off of the D turret, and because she sits low in the water (about an inch and a half freeboard at the bow, an inch or less at the stern) they can pound waterlines of opposing ships with ease. Sitting low also means I present minimal grey target area, and it really gets in to some people's heads. Sitting that low also allows me to pull up rail to rail and be underneath the guns of other ships. Its hard to get sunk if all they can shoot is your deck.

You don't hear much about them for a few reasons I think..
    They're often not high on peoples' list, they're long and there are other class 4 'axis' battlecruisers that tick off the boxes better for some folk. Von der Tann is a good example of this. People don't care for the inline rudder arrangement as it is somewhat suboptimal vs proper dual rudders.
    I think a lot of people go from cruiser to battleship/dreadnought and skip over the battlecruisers. Moar guns!
    For whatever reason the Derf and other battlecruisers seemed to have more favor in the MWCi groups than I ever saw in IRCWCC. Not sure why.
    I wouldn't recommend my 4 gun, half unit pump setup to a rookie captain - too easy to get yourself in serious trouble fast. And getting wet all the time makes for a less than fun learning experience.

16. jimmybeekeeper

lol i could see how rookies need more pump thanks for explaining sounds like a fine boat

17. Maxspin

Maxspin -->> C T D <<--

I'll let you know after I finish sheeting it.
    I don't see it as being all that difficult, just a lot more time consuming.

18. jimmybeekeeper

maxspin its a very nice hull i can see the rounded part getting sheeted but those ends of the blisters look tough would you mind taking good pictures and adding some details of how you do those areas
    i always appreciate the knowledge
    thx jim

PrepmasterNick likes this.
  19. PrepmasterNick

PrepmasterNick Active Member

Yes, pics, please

20. Maxspin

Maxspin -->> C T D <<--

It will look much like Tugs Malaya build. HMS Malaya | Page 4 | R/C Warship Combat . A good picture is at the bottom of page 4. I will post pictures when I get there. I will not be attempting to bend balsa around corners.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2017