Thinking about getting back on the water.

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by rcaircraftnut, Jan 2, 2016.

1. rcaircraftnut

rcaircraftnut Well-Known Member

I'm really liking the looks of the Sharnhorst. I see that there are plans, as well as glass hulls available. Are there any wood kits? I don't mind cutting all the parts, but I am at minimum, a lazy procrastinator at heart. Anything that will speed up the build is a welcome thing for me. Lol. I like the speed of building on the glass hulls, but I hate the dust from cutting out the Windows. I break out easily and quickly so the glass hulls will be a second choice for me.

2. Lou

Lou It's just toy boats -->> C T D <<-- Admiral (Supporter)

3. rcaircraftnut

Saw that, subscribed to the thread, I will most likely buy one, but am more interested in the Gearing class. Hope it is finalized soon.

4. irnuke

irnuke -->> C T D <<--

Might want to check with McSpuds regarding wooden ships: https://rcwarshipcombat.com/threads/spudwerks-wood-warships.444424/

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2017
  5. Lou

Lou It's just toy boats -->> C T D <<-- Admiral (Supporter)

That is what we will have for you to drive in Atlanta. We will locally allow 50 BB's, later this year for the Gearing to make it official

6. rcaircraftnut

Sounds good, I'll do my best not to be the first rookie sunk with your loaner lol.

7. rcaircraftnut

Reading your QE Franken ship build thread now, that's just awesome how you fit all the glass ribs and water channels in there. I like how you did the gearboxes as well.

8. rcaircraftnut

Just realized that there's two different shcarnhorsts. I like the older one not the DKM version better as far as looks go. However, I'm not sure which one is better on paper and or on the water. Any thoughts?

9. rcaircraftnut

Ok, some newb questions here, but I need to know.
    First, is it legal to use two speed controls on twin shaft or four shaft ships to make the wheels rotate opposite directions to assist in turning?
    Second, is it legal to make all shafts functional? If so why don't we?
    Third, what does "on five" mean and where does the term come from?
    Thanks.

10. Maxspin

Maxspin -->> C T D <<--

http://www.ircwcc.org/files/Bylaws_Rules/Rules_2013.htm#PartIISecD

First.
    No.
    PART II - SHIP CONSTRUCTION AND CLASSIFICATION
    D. RUDDERS
    1. Only rudders shall be used to steer ships. No "turning motors" or other systems may be used to assist in turning.

Second.
    What turns our boats is prop wash over the rudders. driving the outside shafts is counter productive. We put drag props or drag discs on the outside shafts. This requires more prop wash over the rudders. Dual rudders create the best vectoring of the prop wash.

Third.
    PART III - BATTLE
    C. BATTLE
    1. The 5 Minute Rule
    a. A Captain may withdraw a ship from a sortie by announcing to all participants that “The [name of ship] is on five!” For ships in Class 1, the announcement shall be “The [name of ship] is on two!”
    b. After invoking the Five Minute Rule (or Two Minute Rule) the captain shall start a timer, and the ship must remain in the battle for five minutes (two minutes for Class 1) before being touched by its captain or removed from the water. During that five minute (or two minute) period, the ship trying to withdraw shall not fire on opposing ships, but it may be fired upon by any other ship which is not also “on five” or “on two.”
    c. A captain may not announce that a ship is "on five” or “on two” while anyone is in the water.
    d. At the expiration of the required five minute or two minute period the withdrawing ship must be brought to shore immediately and may not be fired upon. After the ship has been touched by its captain or removed from the water it may not reenter the ongoing sortie. The ship may enter subsequent new sorties if any are scheduled in the same battle.

11. irnuke

irnuke -->> C T D <<--

Speed controls: Nope. No "turning assist" devices. Just rudders.
    All shafts: You could, but added complexity, weight, and cost for no gain in performance. (The reason real ships have multiple shafts is to apply more horsepower to moving water without going to ginormous size props - N/A at scale)
    "On Five" (or "On two") means the captain has started his countdown timer to be able to pull the ship out of battle. Usually called once all ammo is expended. Two minutes for Destroyers, Five for larger ships.

SMS Scharnhorst: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SMS_Scharnhorst Gorgeous WW1 Armored Cruiser with 8x8" guns
    DKM Scharnhorst: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_battleship_Scharnhorst WW2 Battleship with 9x11" guns

12. irnuke

irnuke -->> C T D <<--

....darn, beaten to the punch(line)

13. rcaircraftnut

Thanks guys, makes sense now. I just remember doing the twin speed controls on twin shaft ships in Queens Own in 1/72 scale way back in the day. Had an Ace Nautical Commander with twin throttle sticks and it allowed me to just dominate the maneuvering contests we used to do at meets for fun. Few guys cried foul, wonder if that's part of the reason for the rule, lol.

14. rcaircraftnut

Ok, just made a deal for my first fighting ship. No guns as of yet, but will soon have the Hull, SS, propulsion, and pump. Ship is a 1/144 Edgar Quinet. Was a good deal for me in my current situation, and will allow me to get on the water fairly quickly. Being a French ship, is it a ship that can fight for either side?

15. Scharnhorst56

Scharnhorst56 Active Member

Edgar Quinet was a French armored cruiser that ran aground and sank off the coast of Algeria in 1930. That rules out the possibility of it being an Axis and Friends ship.:);)

16. mike5334

mike5334 Well-Known Member

Edgar is a good small ship. Pretty maneuverable. :)

17. absolutek

absolutek -->> C T D <<--

The French navy never did anything particular helpful to the axis cause, but that hasn't stopped anybody running a french ship from running with the axis in this hobby.

NickMyers likes this.
  18. rcaircraftnut

I know that ships can put on either side for the duration of any single battle for the purposes of even teams, I was speaking in a historical context as in if it could be a historically acurate "Swing ship" but I got the answer I needed so thanks guys. Now that I have an Allied ship, the next one I build will be an Axis ship, or a Liberty ship for target practice.

19. Beaver

Beaver 2020 Rookie of the Year Admiral (Supporter)

Dude, French is French! It doesn't matter what the ship did, as long as it's French, it can join whichever side it wants (or captain wants). ;)

Vive La France!

20. rcaircraftnut

Duly noted.