USS Iowa Battleship

Discussion in 'Warship Builds' started by Time Lapse, Mar 5, 2015.

1. Cannonman

Cannonman Ultimate Hero :P -->> C T D <<--

Generally speaking, most builders use 3/8 plywood on the bigger ships, 1/4 plywood on the intermediate ships, and 1/8 on the small ships. This is not etched in stone. You can balance the pros and cons to fit your personal preference. As the plywood sizes are increased, as per the rules, the distance between them increases also. Check the rule set you plan to build to, but in general, 1/4" must be a minimum of 2 inches between ribs and 3/8 must be a minimum of 3 inches between. How that distance is measured varies a bit by club (at least it used to). Some clubs measure rib center to rib center, at least one club used to measure the open distance between ribs.

In choosing between sizes there are a few line of thought. Lets eliminate 1/8 for now, you wouldn't want it on a ship this size. So pros and cons between the other 2 sizes as I see it (this is not intended to be an all inclusive list):

1/4" is weaker than 3/8, so there is an increased chance of getting a rib broken with shots with the 1/4. Not a major concern usually.

With 1/4" you can space the ribs closer together, which can make the transitions more gentle between the ribs for the balsa to span. Not a major advantage either.

The biggest difference you will definitely notice, is that if you use 1/4" and space 2'' apart, you have to make a lot more ribs.

All in all, it's your choice, just depends what you prefer. I would venture to guess most guys will pick 3/8" on a ship this size, but you can weigh your options and pick what suits you best.

2. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Save your money and get one. You won't regret it.

Tugboat likes this.
  3. Time Lapse

Time Lapse Member

Thanks for you input . as I am a rookie and its better to learn for someone whos be there done that,Thanks

4. Time Lapse

Time Lapse Member

Ok ,Being have not started any work yet ,And still have to get a band saw, I with think about what your saying.Would also be good to learn this trade ,for other models that do not come in a kit

CURT likes this.
  5. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Thanks. Get the kit then the drive system and pump. You can then at least get your ship on the water. Get your cannons later on as they are the most expensive part of the hobby.

6. Cannonman

And DON'T buy the radio until you can't go any farther without it. ;)

7. Time Lapse

Time Lapse Member

I have traded Camera for one already ,I will post a picture of it tomorrow,

8. Cannonman

Ahhh.. that works! It's usually best to buy the radio when you need it so it doesn't sit on the shelf and become dated while you are building your first ship,, but if you can get one for zero upfront cash you can't turn that down.

9. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

If you traded the camera for the radio, how will you take a picture of it? :)

Side note on wood... I use 1/4" for ribs about 95% of the time, and 1/8" very occasionally. Seen lots of 1/4" ribs but very few 3/8".

10. Time Lapse

Time Lapse Member

I am posting a picture now of the RC Transmitter
    On the wood ribs, Is it ok to use some other type wood than plywood, Like wood from a skid or bought wood

Here was what I got in the trade

Attached Files:

11. Tugboat

Does it work? And does it have a receiver and charger?

12. Time Lapse

Time Lapse Member

LOL, I have about 8 cameras,Now I have 7

It does work I seen my friend us it flying his RC Planes,I will need a charger.

What kind of ships have you built so far.

13. Lou

Lou It's just toy boats -->> C T D <<-- Admiral (Supporter)

Looks like you already have a truck to haul the beast in.

14. Time Lapse

Time Lapse Member

Yes ,I think it will load on a angle,Will make some kind of cradle and screw it to some plywood ,When I get to the sea trials time of the project.

15. Cannonman

Te He... In order to keep from crashing the server from data overload it might be safer to ask what he hasn't built. ;)

Tugboat likes this.
  16. Time Lapse

Time Lapse Member

I just picked up a used band saw today for $50. Getting new blade tomorrow or someday soon

Attached Files:

17. Cannonman

I would strongly suggest to stick to plywood. There is a sound reason plywood is used on virtually all scratch built hulls. Not that other materials aren't possible, but few are as well rounded as plywood for being stable, consistent, easy to work with, and available. Just my opinion, but when you stray from the proven path of shipbuilding (especially for the newer guys) getting a ship on the water gets exponentially more difficult. Many many MANY people new to the hobby want to re-invent the wheel, and all too often they end up with something that won't roll downhill with a tail wind. o_O :bang:

My suggestion is to take a close look at these build threads - if you haven't already, and study them, learn from them, FOLLOW them, and get your first ship built. THEN (and only then!!!!) re-invent the wheel if you must. Innovation is important in this hobby, but there is a time and place for it.

Mike's Bearn - I'm sure you couldn't have missed this one, but just in case!

Tuggy's Edgar Quinet

I'm not suggesting that you were trying to re-invent the wheel..... just trying to steer you in the right direction. ;)

You're doing the right thing by asking questions first, and jumping in with both feet later, so keep asking, and learning.... and building.;)

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2017
    Tugboat likes this.
  18. Time Lapse

Time Lapse Member

Thanks ,I will apply the plywood method on this project.

19. Tugboat

Not quite one of everything, but it's not for lack of trying :)

Cannonman likes this.
  20. Skip Town

Skip Town Member

If you are near a Michaels arts and crafts store. They have a variety of sizes and lengths, of plywood with very few voids. I felt it was resonablely priced. Also Michaels runs 20% off sales many times of the year. No I don't work there.