Any aussies?

Discussion in 'Australian Battle Group' started by jojo_fufe, Dec 3, 2014.

1. jojo_fufe

jojo_fufe New Member

Gold coast? Brisbane?

2. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

There is a large club in Australia, with many local chapters. Check out their website at www.ausbg.org

3. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

I know we have @DarrenScott at least, I can't remember who else right now, but we have a few aussies. Not sure from which areas though.

4. DarrenScott

DarrenScott -->> C T D <<--

There is a big-gun club in Brisbane, but its part of the AAMWCC, since it departed the AUSBG.
    As such, I have no idea as to its current status.

5. cosworth

cosworth Member

Last I heard AAMWCC was no more and there was a few guys in Brisbane looking to get started again

6. jojo_fufe

jojo_fufe New Member

Ok well if there are any battles up in mt cotton in Brisbane if you guys know the time and the days that would be great!

7. BEAST

BEAST Member

Any in Adelaide ay? ??

8. Rayne Single

Rayne Single Admiral (Supporter)

The agm for the aus bg is going to be held in Yass on the long weekend in January. Other than this I don't know if there are any other battles planned. If you are interested in going let us know. Will advise once I find out about any other battles

9. BEAST

BEAST Member

I won't make that although i might make the one in June since ill be able to afford the trip alot easier ay
    And that would be great ay

10. Digger

Digger New Member

Brisbane battler here. If we have no squadron around here at the moment I am happy to help get one underway.

11. Manic Minion

Manic Minion New Member

Hey Digger, Im just north of Brissy (Petrie 5 min walk from lake Kurwongba) Im keen to help get this going around here,

I have a few mates that would be keen to run aswell, do you know anyone else in the area that would be keen to run ??

12. Rayne Single

hi manic minion.
    we are currently speaking with a couple of potential members for the ausbg in the brisbane area.
    can i ask you interest in terms of scale and type?
    obviously in australia big gun is the only battling format as that is the only allowed format for the exception from our gun legislation in aus.
    and the AUSBG is the only club i know of that operates here.
    if you have any questions feel free to shoot me an email or the like and i will fill you in.
    also any membership enquiries for the ausbg as i am the current standing secretary.
    cheers

13. Manic Minion

Manic Minion New Member

I have found a set of plans for the Destroyer USS Capps online and would like to build that as my first warship, as for scale, i was thinking about 1/96 scale, i just re-read all the construction rules for AusBG and you guys run 1/144 scale,

I was hoping to build a "Stand Off" scale boat instead of a full "scale" boat, since the hull will be shot to shreds, so a flat bottom hull with a scale deck outline from above which means the build time will be low and the cost will be kept down on that aspect, i believe it would also allow a little more room inside the smaller boats to fit Co2 bottles etc.

i am happy to run the current rule set however ;)

Thoughts ??

14. Rayne Single

hi manic,
    unfortunately for our ruleset that 1/144 is required scale.
    obviously our build regs are straight forward and to get an exemption under our rules is a lengthy and drawn out proccess.
    a 1/96 scale boat would not be able to be exempt from our rules especially not for competitive combat.
    all our boats are constructed from conways and 1906-1946.
    there are plenty of options in 1/144. all our plans are generally purchased alongside the hull which can be found : http://www.geocities.ws/dreadnoughthulls/
    these hulls are made of fibreglass and inline with our build regs.
    In terms of "full" scale our boats are built within the scale however it is not necesary to have a perfect example. if you look at this thread you can compare my dunkerque to what i consider a "full scale"
    https://rcwarshipcombat.com/threads/treaty-shipyards.441037/page-15#post-511038
    for a first ship i suggest a merchant to get the basic principles and once that sorted you can build a warship.
    most persons that attempt to build a warship first despite eventually getting operational it is a much longer drawn out process as they take alot more work to get operational.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2017
  15. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

I think you will find that a "scale profile" hull as you described, using outlines only instead of actual hull shape, is not a significant savings in production time. Either way, a wooden hull still requires ribs, keel, and subdeck, and you'll spend nearly as long making those for a profile ship as you will making a proper hull. Plus the proper hull will look SO much better on the water, it is worth the little extra effort it takes to do it right. Most battlers are not super-scale rivet-counters, we don't really care if you got dummy shells of the correct diameter for the 20mm AA guns on the starboard upper platform (or whatever else rivet-counters obsess over). That stuff gets blown away in moments, and then you have to replace it. We prefer to build tough, bulletproof superstructures and details that look good from 10 feet away, and can stand up to the rigors of combat without repairs for a year or more. For example, I draw my portholes on with a sharpy. Five minutes with a ruler and a pen, once a year, and those portholes are visible from fifteen feet away. You can also add detail later as you have time, provided you start with a decent base. All the fancywork in the world can't make an ugly hull look good.

Your best bet, if you are concerned about producing a wooden hull, is to buy a fiberglass hull.

16. Manic Minion

Manic Minion New Member

@Rayne Single - All good mate, i can do 1/144th scale pretty easy, ill just scale the drawing down in AutoCAD once i have the outline drawn and fill in the blanks from there based off the Build Regs,

@Kotori87 - For me its more a matter of time in construction, i can do either build method but i can draw simple flat bottomed hull plans and get them laser cut out at a local business that i use regularly for other hobbies, doing it this way will produce a very rudamentry hull shape i agree, but im not looking for a curvy ship, mearly just more space on the inside to get my head around BB Systems and water tight propulsion and Rx, once i have my head around all that, i will probably go for a full profile hull and add more detail to that as by then, hopefully i will have learnt the tactics required to stay afloat during rounds lol

I have the full set of free drawings off themodelshipyards website of the Fletcher Class Destroyer, which i believe is within the specified date range for build regs, @Rayne Single - can you confirm this for me ??

I am also lucky enough to have a set of printed Glyn Guest plans in 1/144th scale for the USS Bodega Bay out of the Model Boats magazine from the UK, I was considering building this also as a Convoy ship,

@Kotori87 - With the Ribs of the hull, do most builders have a recommended distance between ribs??

Cheers Guys,
    Looking forward to getting both these boats drawn up ready for the Laser Cutters, i will probably start a new thread in the Build Forum to keep this on topic for the Aussie guys to keep in touch,

17. Rayne Single

the only thing with 144 scale destroyers is they are quite small and unsteady.
    if you really want to construct out of timber we don't really have alot of boats that use that method. almost all our hulls are fibreglass made by members.
    below is the specs for the fletcher. in scale size this will only be 79 cms long. only 83 mm wide. with only 29mm to water line.
    yes it is allowed however will be extremely unwieldy and difficult to build and then battle. let alone even trying to arm.

upload_2016-12-15_8-23-50.png

18. Rayne Single

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2017
  19. Manic Minion

Manic Minion New Member

Mmmm she is a bit of a narrow ship in that scale, nice build by the way, went and had a look, i see what you mean by tight on space internally,

Back on the topic of a club up here in Brissy though, would we have enough people interested enough to meet up at a local hall or something to discuss getting this off the ground ??

I guess the biggest area to address is the location of monthly meets,

20. Rayne Single

teechnically you only need 3 people to create a sub group under the ausbg. now to be covered by our insurance which will enable you to use any enclosed land with a dam as long as you have writen permission from the land owner.
    all is required is to be a member of the ausbg. http://www.ausbg.org/membership.pdf
    if return this to my email i will take to the next exec meeting for approval and will enable you to meet and operate under our regs and rules.
    membership is 65 for a single person or 75 for a family which covers any spouse or children to enable to run ships.