Cutting Edge Ships

Discussion in 'Construction' started by AdmiralBangerBang, Jan 16, 2018.

1. AdmiralBangerBang

AdmiralBangerBang Active Member

Share your most extreme, most competitive, most high tech ship builds!

2. SteveT44

SteveT44 Well-Known Member

3. Beaver

Beaver 2020 Rookie of the Year Admiral (Supporter)

4. AdmiralBangerBang

Also, share any extremely innovative ideas here! Let me know!

5. Kevin P.

Kevin P. Well-Known Member

A cutting edge rookie ship is one that makes it through the first battle weekend without any significant malfunctions, I think most captains can probably only think of a few times in their battle history where that has been the case. I recommend that you spend some more time reading build threads, reading a copy of the building rules, learning about basic electronics, etc. Good first ships typically use the more proven technology than newer, less tested ideas

6. Beaver

Yes, I got compliments at my first event when my ship didn't just sink outright. :)

7. thegeek

thegeek Well-Known Member

This is one hobby that "Home Work" pays off bigtime, and directly. Read the build threads and buy a used boat with no guts.
    Then find a vet to talk you through the build, Barry T. is excellent and in Melville NY I think.
    Look for a WW1 Battlecruiser (Nassau, Von Der Tann, I boat, or similar), 3 unit heavy cruiser another really good pick.
    Build what you like/love, it makes it easier and you will stay with her.
    Good luck and welcome to the "magnificent obsession".

8. AdmiralBangerBang

I'm buying the Salt Lake City cruiser for sale at the Southeast Attack Squadron site.

9. AdmiralBangerBang

But you also said WW1 battlecruisers. Are the ships HMS Queen Mary and HMS Renown good beginner ships.

10. thegeek

Shorter is better generally. Twin rudders better than single generally. Long and thin with single rudders not as desirable as short with twin rudders. But THE most important thing is to LOVE what you build.

Anachronus likes this.
  11. Kevin P.

Kevin P. Well-Known Member

No they are not, they are too long, so they don't turn well and are harder to battle. For a battlecruiser you want one between 40" and 50" long in 1/144 scale, so either the HMS Invincible, HMS Indefatigable on the Allied side or SMS Von Der Tann or SMS Moltke on the Axis side. You can export the IRCWCC shiplist into excel and set up filters if you want to see for yourself, it is found here http://ircwcc.com/main/shiplist/

Here is a model of the HMAS Australia that is for sale from a very good builder in the hobby. A lot of the major steps are done, just needs internals sorted out
    https://www.rcwarshipcombat.com/thr...-coles-indefatigable-hull.445363/#post-518179

12. AdmiralBangerBang

Steve, do you know of any ships for sale on any of the home sites of the other rc warship combat groups? If so, please tell me.

13. warspiteIRC

warspiteIRC RIP

Port Polar Bear and SAS have ships for sale, but the postage might be high.

14. AdmiralBangerBang

15. jadfer

jadfer Well-Known Member

I have shipped boats from TX to MN and TX to PA... it was virtually the same cost. I shipped a light box 48 inches to MN for 45 bucks. I shipped a plywood box to PA for 75 and then back to TX with a ship and parts in it for 85.

FYI make sure you have smooth edges on yoru box or you may loose the top layers of plywood.. or get bad splintering. I think in the future I will epoxy / nail in a 1x1 into the corners and round it with router so I can replace it.

J

16. irnuke

irnuke -->> C T D <<--

Nassau is NOT a battlecruiser. It is a fine dreadnought battleship of the Imperial High Seas Fleet! The Kaiser is most displeased with this disrespect.

Back on topic for this thread... For your 1st ship, you want a large cruiser or small battlecruiser as others have mentioned. That gives you plenty of room for internals, but not so many systems and fiddly-bits that you get overwhelmed. Also as mentioned, shorter and twin rudder is better (for better turning) than longer and single or in-line rudders. And until (or unless) you have experience with electronics, etc, consider staying w/ KISS (Keep It Simple, Stupid) and minimizing the amount of gadgetry.

Anachronus likes this.
  17. thegeek

I am truly sorry if the Kaiser is displeased, I was only giving a example. I better go over my grammar and punctuation too.

Many will voice support for one boat over another, some will tout that some captains are invincible. But the real difference is in the preparation that the boat gets in the winter. A bullet proof electrical system, gas delivery system and mechanical drive components will give you more than a plentiful postcount on this forum.

Kevin P. and SnipeHunter like this.
  18. AdmiralBangerBang

Is a Kongo a good first ship?

19. Beaver

A good first ship is one you can build in a reasonable amount of time without losing interest, plus have it work well enough that you actually get to battle instead of spending most of your time on the bench fixing things. That is why smaller ships with less guns are usually recommended for starters. There are fewer things to get working right and they take less time to build which gets you on the water, having fun instead of being here on the forums reading about all our exciting battles you missed out on.

KeriMorgret likes this.
  20. AdmiralBangerBang

So is Kongo OK? I love the ship, the looks, the speed

Anachronus likes this.