SMS-USSHMSFN 10minutes to victory

Discussion in 'Warship Builds' started by Panzer, Aug 6, 2017.

1. Panzer

Panzer Iron Dog Shipwerks and CiderHaus

Mine tops out at 125 psi, so I tap in where my relief valve screws in and I can Tweak them nice and close and do the final tweak at lakeside. Its really fun to be able to test the guns and not worry about Co2. Also even at only 125psi they can ping around the garage 6-9 times before coming to a safe resting place in the appropriate receptacle.:eek::eek:o_Oo_O:confused::whistling::whistling::whistling: I should probably go talk to a man about a horse!

2. Beaver

Beaver 2020 Rookie of the Year Admiral (Supporter)

Try holding a 2-by-4 in from of the gun barrel to stop the bb and then let it roll out. Much safer. :)

3. Panzer

My garage is from the 1930's and the "2 x 4" studs are rock hard . The BB's ping off them like steel plate!(I do wear safety glasses by the way)

4. Panzer

Its official, the SMS BADEN and ALTMARK were released from Iron Dog Shipwerks tonite. They are slated for work ups over the next week before they hit REFTRA. upon satisfactory completion they will join the VDT with the CiderHaus Battlegroup. Oh Mi.
    IMG_0985[1].JPG IMG_0986[1].JPG IMG_0987[1].JPG IMG_0988[1].JPG IMG_0989[1].JPG IMG_0990[1].JPG IMG_0991[1].JPG IMG_0992[1].JPG IMG_0993[1].JPG

Boatmeister, Lou, kgaigalas and 4 others like this.
  5. Kevin P.

Kevin P. Well-Known Member

Are those casements penetrable / where is the 3/8 deck rim? I'm having trouble seeing 1/2" scale on the ship

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Panzer

upload_2018-6-16_15-10-37.png
    upload_2018-6-16_15-11-0.png
    upload_2018-6-16_15-11-19.png
    upload_2018-6-16_15-11-33.png
    upload_2018-6-16_15-13-17.png
    upload_2018-6-16_15-14-3.png
    I put several Spots to Shine a light on them....(thank you Nick)
    If you look at the pics you can see the nice new balsa skin on the casements that still need the paint touched up on them.

Mcspuds overhauled this Hull. https://rcwarshipcombat.com/threads/sms-baden-refit.442386/ :woot::D:)

Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
  7. Kevin P.

So this is just my opinion, but it looks like the casements are further inset than scale, so it's good that there are a few penetrable portions, but there should probably be more. I'd recommend checking dimensions vs plans if you have them. Comparing to pictures of the actual ship I'd estimate that the 'outboard' portions of the casements should be inset from the side of the hull by about 3/16," and the bow-end casements should definitely be further out

8. Panzer

Can I get a CD or who ever will decide at Nats if this meets spec???? Spudzy rebuilt it to the rules per Tim B, Not sure who approved it when spudz was doing it but Jeff Lipp has battled it since than and I do not want to show up at Nats and than have a problem..... The pictures of the ship in spudzies post should be enough to decide: https://rcwarshipcombat.com/threads/sms-baden-refit.442386/page-2. If some one can tell me what else needs doing, I will happily do it, but I specifically got this due to it supposedly meeting the rules as set forth in the penetrable ruling for casements(I do not have plans) But I believe from reading the rebuild post that spuds used George Goff plans? Maybe Terry lee could chime in and say?

NickMyers likes this.
  9. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

This is why I shipped my Baden hull to Clark in trade for his Valiant hull.

Panzer likes this.
  10. Kevin P.

So this one isn't really an interpretation, the rules say that the measurements are based off the scale ship/plans, not as-built dimensions. The rules say that casements that are inset >1/2" from the side of the hull can be solid, which is fine, but if the casements are built further in than scale, it will make it seem like more of the casements are allowed to be solid, when they should actually be cut out.

I'm just saying that the as built configuration is different than the real ship, judged by the Mk 1 Mod 0 eyeball. There is a fine German sailor standing on the casement deck in one of the pictures, now picture him lying down and figure out if he would fall in the water or not. I'd say he would end up in the drink along most of the length, maybe he could stretch out for a small portion forward of the forward casement gun, but the as-built (model boat) configuration they could have a whole wedding reception on that casement deck

(cue dremel sounds)

Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
  11. Kevin P.

I remembered that there’s a possibility I have Baden plans buried somewhere, I will take a look later this week

Panzer likes this.
  12. Panzer

I have no problem dremeling the daylites out of the casements just need to know what you want dremeled:) When Nats rolls around I just wanna be able to play too.

13. Panzer

Cue drill sounds,,,,cue dremel sounds,,, cue filing the SH*t out of the casements............by mark 0 mod 0 eyeball there are sailors laying around soaking up the sun on a bunch of horizontal surfaces all over the casement decks so assuming that they are alive and not manaquins posed there in some Allied conspiracy several of the casement areas are greater than a half an inch and will not be destroyed. Cue the smells of fresh balsa being coated with MEK and Weldwood. I will show mine if you show yours.;);)

NASAAN101 and NickMyers like this.
  14. Panzer

DKM Altmark got some love this past week:
    IMG_0690[1].JPG
    She got windows recut and a fresh skin to get her ready for Nats 2021!!! Yea!
    Altmark is the larger one underneath DD-533.