Hull Plug Building Guide? (For the sexiest ship in ww2)

Discussion in 'General' started by AdmiralBangerBang, Jan 23, 2018.

1. AdmiralBangerBang

AdmiralBangerBang Active Member

I want to try building a hull plug for a Prinz Eugen that I want to build. The ship's hull lines are a bit hard to do in wood, so I want to build a fiberglass one. Also, I plan on building multiple Eugens, as I'll probably screw up on the first one. Any threads or advice?

2. pigeonfarmboy

pigeonfarmboy Well-Known Member

I think you'd be better off spending that time, money, and effort into getting started with your first boat. Assuming you're working with a tight budget, I broke up the components into steps that you could complete as time/finances allow:

If you're set on a Hipper and have to spread the cost out:
    Buy this, lay out your penetrable areas post a picture here for validation and start cutting.
    http://battlersconnection.com/prinz-eugen/

Buy your decks and get those installed.
    http://battlersconnection.com/dkm-prinz-eugen-deck-kit/

Start scratch building the superstructure and get your turrets.
    http://battlersconnection.com/dkm-prinz-eugen-main-turret-with-range-finder/
    http://battlersconnection.com/dkm-prinz-eugen-main-turret-without-range-finder/

Buy the hardware kit and get your prop shafts and rudder installed (buy the Hobbywing 60A ESC with this)
    http://battlersconnection.com/dkm-prinz-eugen-hardware-kit/

You still have Cannons, CO2 System (solenoid or poppet), Servo(s), Pump/Swtich, Radio/Receiver, Battery(ies). Don't forget any basic tools and supplies you'll need to complete the build. All the adhesives and tools cost money too.

See why we told you to buy that used SLC hull? These things add up really fast. We want to see you out on the water battling, not gluing yourself to a pile of glass cloth while getting frustrated and losing interest in the hobby. There's no reason you can't try later to build your own hull once you have a better comprehension of what works on the water. You may even find the PE is not the right boat for you because of it's layout.

Along with others, I appreciate your interest in the hobby and passion to create new ideas but, you haven't even experienced a battle yet. Right now SIMPLE is your friend and should be your only goal.

Most importantly: Where is the first battle or meeting you are attending regardless of you having a boat?

3. AdmiralBangerBang

But are there any mold making guides? Thanks!

4. aleMI

aleMI Active Member

Kevin P on this site has made hulls from his own molds. Here's one: https://rcwarshipcombat.com/threads/make-class-1-great-again.445406/#post-517701
    As you can see, it's not easy. Keep in mind Kevin P is a highly experienced person in the hobby.
    I want to echo what pigeonfarmboy said. Just building a ship from an already existing hull is a challenge as is, especially a for a newcomer. And costs will add up quickly once you factor in building materials, cannons and hardware. Making your own hull shouldn't be your priority right now. Have you had your dad get involved yet? I highly suggest attending a meeting or build session first.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
    Anvil_x, rcaircraftnut and NickMyers like this.
  5. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

To make a mold you first need a plug. Building a plug is pretty much building a hull, only solid, either by virtue of being made from solid stock or being filled in. then you do a ton of work to sand and smooth everything. Then you set to work with fiberglass and resin, which are not the most pleasant things to work with, to build a mold or a one-off hull, both of which are again, a non trivial amount of labor. Kevin's class 1 thread is a great example of making a mold.

AdmiralBangerBang likes this.
  6. AdmiralBangerBang

Are there any really cheap glass hulls I can get? My mom has a limit that I can only spend 1/3 of my money, so to get enough money to get the average 120 dollar glass hull, I'd have to earn 360, which would take a hell of a long time.

7. NickMyers

You have been pointed towards a few less expensive options, all of which you have declined afaik.
    The basic truth is that you are going to need to increase your capital supply in order to build a ship. If you shoot your wad on getting an empty hull, you still have 1) empty hull, 2) no ship on the water and 3) no money with which to fill your empty hull and obtain a 'ship on the water'.
    So, turn your mental energies towards how you can acquire access to more benjamins before worrying about hulls. (ProTip: Pitching it to your parents as a parent-son project may get you someplace, but they're not likely to open the wallet until you demonstrate commitment enough to get to an event, so step 1 is to get yourself and them to an event, hopefully one where you have contacted people ahead of time to arrange some loaner ship stick-time for you and your parental units)

8. AdmiralBangerBang

I might just buy the Duca on Strike Models. Read a thread. Seems pretty damn OK.

9. NickMyers

language my good man, language.

Didn't you say it was ugly? Candy stripes aren't for everyone. Get to an event before you buy anything. Patience is its own reward.

10. AdmiralBangerBang

Or I might build a wood hull Prinz Eugen. I've been reading up Tuggy's Cheapest Point of Entry thread. I love the Prinz Eugen. Nicest looking warship ever built.

11. pigeonfarmboy

FYI I've been here for 2 years and have only created 10 threads, you've made 17 in a week. This would indicate you are not spending your time searching for existing threads and reading up on how to build ships. Have you read through IRCWCC/Big Gun rules and picked a battle format yet?
    I would imagine there is snow to be shoveled in your area. That's battleship money falling from the sky for a young dude!

12. buttsakauf

buttsakauf Well-Known Member

This is a truly fantastic post. My commitment and persistence in getting to NTXBG events was key in my parents supporting for the year before I had my own car (@18yrs old). Patience is a mark of maturity. The quality of maturity will win parents. When my 7yr old does something unasked and truly helpful because he sees it needs to be done... I heap on praise and my willingness to cater to him increases 10 fold!

rcaircraftnut, NickMyers and Lou like this.
  13. Panzer

Panzer Iron Dog Shipwerks and CiderHaus

THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<That!!!
    Admiral, It took me 20+ years to get to Battle my first ship. You have some great people on here giving you not good advice but probably borderline perfect advice!!!!! So if you could take more than three seconds to consider what they are espousing, you might(maybe not) see that they want you to get the best the hobby has to offer and not waste time and money. We all would love for you and your parents to go crazy over the hobby and build 500 boats and recruit 50,000 additional battlers. But for the present see if you can get in contact with several battlers that are closest to you and see if you and your folks can get into a battle with a loaner. The people around you have years of EXP and knowledge to help you get into the hobby. Use them and prosper grasshopper! I hope to see you on the water.
    Craig

14. AdmiralBangerBang

Thank's, Craig, but I don't know of any experienced battlers around Long Island.

15. Panzer

Panzer Iron Dog Shipwerks and CiderHaus

16. pigeonfarmboy

I have to drive 5 hours one way for a battle. Part of living in the US and having weird hobbies.

WillCover and rcaircraftnut like this.
  17. Beaver

Beaver 2020 Rookie of the Year Admiral (Supporter)

You do read our posts, don't you?
    So I Was Wonderin'
    Cutting Edge Ships

AdmiralBangerBang likes this.
  18. Anvil_x

Anvil_x Well-Known Member

Ok bro, I've been in the same boat for both of my builds (there were no groups in MA when I was a kid, and I am the ONLY guy crazy enough to do this in AK). The Texas is my second build and to be frank, I really should have just bought a used boat. But I'm used to building stuff with wood, save money like a squirrel, and love reading stuff on the forum.

Just slow your roll. lurk for a while. take in the sights. I know you're eager to get in a scrum, but it's worth the wait to do something right.

If you don't have the cash to buy a major combatant, Phil and Lou are cranking out DDs that can get you quickly into the hobby for around 350 bucks. I'd suggest that considering your price point since the hull, motors etc are 120 bucks. those boats are PERFECT for your price point. Build one of them suckers, they're three pounds, silly fast, and from the way those guys in GA rave about them, fun to drive and fight.

But most important of all, this is a hobby which requires patience, especially in the build.

Lou and rcaircraftnut like this.
  19. AdmiralBangerBang

Sorry beaver, I do read your posts and know about them, but until the summer I don't have time to meet them since their upstate. I assure you I read your posts. :) I swear.

20. Beaver

Beaver 2020 Rookie of the Year Admiral (Supporter)

Upstate? Barry is on, or near, long island.